Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 53 of 862
Hi Roshi,

My CSC & SS didn't care who we used for independent inspector. I still gave them the person's & company's name anyway & the SS actually called them after the frame stage to find out how to fix certain things that would make them happy.
Hi Everyone,

I am building with PD and had my PCI today. My SS mentioned that all the appliances (rangehoods, stoves, hot water, ducted vaccum unit etc) will be done on the day after the handover. Can someone please advise if this is normal practise? I was in the assumption that this needs to be done a day before or on the same day as handover. This would have given the opportunity for us to inspect the appliances and its intallation pre to agreeing for settlement.

Any suggestions/advise is most welcome.

Cheers
Hi Foundation,

Ours were installed a week before hand over.
How can the contract be complete if these items are not installed.
Sounds like BS to me.
Eve Dweller
How can the contract be complete if these items are not installed.
Sounds like BS to me.

Simply because they want to make sure if those items got stolen, it will not be their responsibility. If those items are installed prior to hand over, they have to replace them if they are stolen, while if the items are installed after hand over, it is your responsibility to replace them.
doesn't satisfy the need for a contract to be completed.
Thats exactly my concern and thus needed to clarify.

Does anyone knowwhat is standard practise though?? Do you think that rightly so this needs to be installed prior settlement.

Not sure if there are rules around this?

cheer
All builders that I know of will install them after hand over, some will even install it just before you move in.

I'm sure you can request PD to install them the morning of the hand over, that way you will have a final check to make sure they work before you hand over the final payment to them.
Im not debating what might have occured to other, but there is no provision in the contract that states exemption of utilities (essential for a certificate of occupancy anyway).
It clearly states that completion is all works in the agreement.
Just wondering if anybody has wanted to get quotes on window furnishing before handover? (just because of the wait time on getting window furnishings made)

Do PD allow people in to measure or is it a nono?

Just a general question...
building1
Just wondering if anybody has wanted to get quotes on window furnishing before handover? (just because of the wait time on getting window furnishings made)

My SS allowed us to get the windows measured prior to handover.
SSAZ
building1

My SS allowed us to get the windows measured prior to handover.

Thanks SSAZ
Foundation, our SS said he would install appliances the day before handover. You can call BACV and get their opinion. The number is 1300 557 559.

Building1, our SS has let us get people in to measure and quote for blinds and driveways prior to handover. He's actually been fantastic with site access.

SSAZ, love your front door. We chose Indian Red for ours and now I'm toying with the idea of swapping it to your colour. Especially since our garage doors look the same too.
I called the building commission about this issue - they are required to install appliances before settlement as per contract. I am in two minds about it, I dont really want to waste my time sitting around waiting for tradies when I have paid to do this, but in saying that I didnt mind the idea of being able to check the appliances before they are installed to make sure they have not been dropped or marked
Thanks all for your response.

I have shot an email to my CSC and SS to get this installed prior to handover - will let you know their response soon.

On a separate note, I also asked my SS to clean all the windows and get rid of the all the dirt and the cobwebs etc on the windows and window frames. His answer was that he wasnt going to do that as he has done the cleaning recently and therefore wont do it again.

Do I have any powers in getting PD to clean the windows for dirt and cobwebs?? It will cost be a fair bit to get this done by myself (makes it even difficult with double storey)

Cheers
We're looking seriously at PD for our home. I'm nervous - basically I want to bury my head in the sand till it's all over. No reflection on them, I'm just feeling sick at the hundreds of decisions to make and all the negotiating and stress of it all, and that's just between me and my husband! No real questions. Just are people mostly happy? I've built before and with my 1st home (local independent job) I'd recommend the builder in a pinch, but I still had some issues and problems with the build. So on the whole, and knowing that no job is perfect, are people reasonably happy? My husband has a clue about building standards but no idea about kitchens, or storage (unless it's a lawn mower) so we should be OK there.
lastone
We're looking seriously at PD for our home. I'm nervous - basically I want to bury my head in the sand till it's all over. No reflection on them, I'm just feeling sick at the hundreds of decisions to make and all the negotiating and stress of it all, and that's just between me and my husband! No real questions. Just are people mostly happy? I've built before and with my 1st home (local independent job) I'd recommend the builder in a pinch, but I still had some issues and problems with the build. So on the whole, and knowing that no job is perfect, are people reasonably happy? My husband has a clue about building standards but no idea about kitchens, or storage (unless it's a lawn mower) so we should be OK there.

We are happy with the house & the service PD provided us. Of course there were ups & downs but overall they did a good job.
foundation
Thanks all for your response.

I have shot an email to my CSC and SS to get this installed prior to handover - will let you know their response soon.

On a separate note, I also asked my SS to clean all the windows and get rid of the all the dirt and the cobwebs etc on the windows and window frames. His answer was that he wasnt going to do that as he has done the cleaning recently and therefore wont do it again.

Do I have any powers in getting PD to clean the windows for dirt and cobwebs?? It will cost be a fair bit to get this done by myself (makes it even difficult with double storey)

Cheers

Appliances and water heaters are installed after the PCI and when you go an collect your keys. This is to avoid them from being stolen. However when ours was done, in the presence of the SS, the place was left in a mess no one bothered cleaning them or even filling up the gaps left behind when they cut thru the ceiling to install the range-hood. When spoke to SS we were advised to get those things rectified in the 3 month maintenance. My advice, tell them to put in these appliances the day you have your PCI and clean up the house. You carry on with your PCI later on. It will take you an hour or 2 for the settlement.

House should be cleaned before handover and should be how display houses look so if there is a problem with it .... let them handle it, if you can wait do not bother giving them the final cheque.

PD, would credit you the water usage rates so make use of this.
lastone

It was our first house with PD, went by recommendations of family and friends. we would rate the build quality as average one thing we were not happy was with the interactions we had with PD on a regular basis. Of all the troubles, our SS was good (in most cases). If you decide to build with them get Independent Inspection done after every stage. We moved in 6 months ago ... the 3 month maintenance is still going on ... and on some cases we have been asked to take this up during 12 month maintenance.
Hi lastone, We signed with a smaller builder first going with the more bang for your buck theory. Didnt work, they did nothing. Then we cancelled and signed with PD which cost much more. Like SSAZ, there have been ups and downs and you have to keep a close eye on your contract and the build - while PD means well, it is your house after all. Know your contract inside out, keep every scrap of paper (including sales quotations), know the regulations and be prepared for a hard slog. I'm told though that the end result is worth it. You've been through the process so you should be better equipped than most. For the most part, I'm happy with PD & my build and though there have been a few rough patches here and there, PD has almost always come to the party.

Good luck with your build!
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum