Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes general build thread

Page 507 of 579
Has anyone had much experience with incorrect variations from Coral?

I delayed Coral as I had to put a retaining wall in and as a result, I received a delay variation (which is fair enough).

I was pushed to sign it by Coral stating that if I didn't sign there would be further delays and claims, so I checked the dates and signed and returned it.

A little while after, I checked the dates for the variation and also calculated the number of working days during the delay and they are markedly different to corals. They are claiming 101 days, whereas I get 77 days. This equates to over $1500 difference.

I have gone back to Coral to ask them to correct their invoice and all I have been told is that I have signed the variation so nothing they can do.

Surely if the variation is incorrect (it has both the dates and the number of days on it), then this needs to be rectified and resubmitted.

Any suggestions?

sawtelljai

I delayed Coral as I had to put a retaining wall in and as a result, I received a delay variation (which is fair enough).

I was pushed to sign it by Coral stating that if I didn't sign there would be further delays and claims, so I checked the dates and signed and returned it.

A little while after, I checked the dates for the variation and also calculated the number of working days during the delay and they are markedly different to corals. They are claiming 101 days, whereas I get 77 days. This equates to over $1500 difference.

I have gone back to Coral to ask them to correct their invoice and all I have been told is that I have signed the variation so nothing they can do.

Surely if the variation is incorrect (it has both the dates and the number of days on it), then this needs to be rectified and resubmitted.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest that you discuss it with whoever is as far up the tree that you can get access to (in writing) and explain the situation and why you believe the variation is/was incorrect. Ask for a response in writing and within a feasible timeframe for them to clarify their calculation of delayed days. From there if the response is not to your liking, its time to bring in fair trading, but make sure that he variation is 100% invalid prior to doing this. You have every right to request and expect to receive full clarification to any variation. Not providing evidence to substantiate the claim for delay would be against the terms of a Standard HIA contract.

Here's hoping the issue gets resolved quickly, good luck.
mrbiggens
sawtelljai

Any suggestions?

I would suggest that you discuss it with whoever is as far up the tree that you can get access to (in writing) and explain the situation and why you believe the variation is/was incorrect. Ask for a response in writing and within a feasible timeframe for them to clarify their calculation of delayed days. From there if the response is not to your liking, its time to bring in fair trading, but make sure that he variation is 100% invalid prior to doing this. You have every right to request and expect to receive full clarification to any variation. Not providing evidence to substantiate the claim for delay would be against the terms of a Standard HIA contract.

Here's hoping the issue gets resolved quickly, good luck.

Thanks for your response. My email explaining the error in the variation was sent to the area manager for my region. I'll give them a chance to respond. Failing that, I will take it to fair trading, but it wasn't something I wanted to do as don't want it to affect the rest of the build.
Thanks again

Hypothetical question. If a builder is unable to build your house without moving the house footprint significantly due to making a mistake with the location of an easement, is that grounds to terminate the contract?
brodav83
Hypothetical question. If a builder is unable to build your house without moving the house footprint significantly due to making a mistake with the location of an easement, is that grounds to terminate the contract?

Hi Brodav83,

I would refer you to Clause 14 of the Standard HIA Building Conctract, which covers hidden site conditions, which i am assuming has been signed by the interested parties:

14.5: The Builder is only entitled to payment for such extra work if the actual site conditions differ from those either:
a) disclosed or known to the builder prior to this contract being signed; or
b) shown in the contract documents,
and if the effect of what the difference requires more or less work thanthat which a reasonable builder would have anticipated on the signing of this contract.

Without knowing the full history of paperwork and discussions between the parties, if it could be shown that the builder should have or was aware of the easement conditions, than no further payment can be sought from the owner due to such conditions (there may be another section in the contract you have signed which may make this clause invalid).

Failing this clause being able to be used, then the following clause may give you grounds to end the contract:

14.6 If the estimated price of the extra work exceeds 5% of the contract price, the owner may end this contract by giving the builder a written notice to that effect within 5 working days of recieving the estimated cost from the builder under sub cluase14.2 and sub cluase 14.7 applies.

14.7 If the owner so ends this contract, the owner must pay to the builder the price of the works carried out to date that this contract is ended. The price includes the builders margin applied to the costs incured by the builder which costs include the cost of materials on site or already ordered from suppliers that are non refundable.

I hope this helps.
Thanks mrbiggens that does indeed help 👍🏼
Did anyone else get this?

Good Afternoon,

Christmas is not far away so to help you plan your accommodation and living requirements coming into the Christmas and New Year period, Coral Homes wish to advise of our annual Christmas shut-down period as follows:

Coral Homes Head Office:

Closed from: 4:00pm on Friday 22nd December 2017
Re-open at: 8.30am on Monday 8th January 2018

Following a review of the construction progress of your home, Coral Homes advise that we will be unable to handover your home by Friday 22nd December 2017.

We hope this information assists you with planning for the coming festive season.

If you have any queries regarding the progress of your home, please contact your Building Supervisor.

Kind Regards,

Coral Homes
Hudson House

Good Afternoon,

Christmas is not far away so to help you plan your accommodation and living requirements coming into the Christmas and New Year period, Coral Homes wish to advise of our annual Christmas shut-down period as follows:

Coral Homes Head Office:

Following a review of the construction progress of your home, Coral Homes advise that we will be unable to handover your home by Friday 22nd December 2017.

We hope this information assists you with planning for the coming festive season.

If you have any queries regarding the progress of your home, please contact your Building Supervisor.

Kind Regards,

Coral Homes

Mine has extra

viewtopic.php?t=88323&f=31&p=1771329#p1771329
Hudson House

Good Afternoon,

Coral Homes Head Office:

Kind Regards,

Coral Homes

Yep we got. I'm really disappointed that they won't be able to do handover before Christmas.... might have something to do with the fact we don't even have our slab yet!

Can anyone help me out here.
Our slab should be getting poured this week, we aren't getting our alfresco poured as part of main slab, but we have concrete pierings by the looks of it.

Anyone able to tell me why there's concrete where there shouldn't be?

xjanex
Our slab should be getting poured this week, we aren't getting our alfresco poured as part of main slab, but we have concrete pierings by the looks of it.

We had the same I don’t know the long story of it but it’s to do with strengthening it all together. they will pour a ring of concrete around inside edge of alfresco too so that all the concrete meets. This prob makes no sense
but just know it’s to strengthen the base
when my hubby explained it to me it made sense just can’t remember what he said lol

xjanex

Hi Xjanex,

The concrete footings give the concrete slab the strength to support the structure being built on top of the concrete slab. they will follow the external walls of the structure and have stiffening ribs at specific centres across the slab span. In simple terms, if the alfresco is under the main roof structure, then they are supposed to be there. The builder will bolt support posts to hold up the roof for the alfresco to the footings to allow you to pour an infill slab at a later date. The structural drawings for your house will show these footings and support columns for the alfresco area.

Hope this clarifies it for you đź‘Ť
Can anyone please tell me the process with final payment, PCI and handover. Just a tad confused and dont want to hold anything up. Has anyone had handover moved forward rather than 2 weeks after PCI?

H Family
Can anyone please tell me the process with final payment, PCI and handover. Just a tad confused and dont want to hold anything up. Has anyone had handover moved forward rather than 2 weeks after PCI?

we handed over a cheque day of handover but the bank needs the final sign off paperwork from Coral that they get from council in order for them to issue a cheque - coral know this so I had no delays with this part

Hudson House

Good Afternoon,

Coral Homes Head Office:

Kind Regards,

Coral Homes

Yes we also got this yesterday we are so over this build and can't wait till it's over our contract date is the 21st of December so really annoyed with them! Giving us 4 weeks notice when we have asked and asked just frustrated me how they operate and the excuse that we got as to why our build has been delayed is just poor and puts us out financially.
Feel sorry for all you guys not being able to get the handover done before xmas. That totally sucks.
I'm in the same boat regarding handover now being after Christmas. By the sounds of it, they still want to have the PC walkdown prior to Christmas though. I asked my CSO does this mean I get additional weeks for the maintenance defect warranty period and she said no. She advised me not to sign the PC certificate as the clock starts ticking once you do

sawtelljai
I'm in the same boat regarding handover now being after Christmas. By the sounds of it, they still want to have the PC walkdown prior to Christmas though. I asked my CSO does this mean I get additional weeks for the maintenance defect warranty period and she said no. She advised me not to sign the PC certificate as the clock starts ticking once you do

They will also stop calculating liquidated damages from PCI so don't sign until you have to

They won't get ours done in time for that to even happen I'm sure. Any way to get out of paying for something.
So with a 'Start Date' is it due 10 days from when we provide the 'Letter of Commencement' from the bank or 10 working days? I can't see anything on this in our contract...

Sorry has probably been asked 100 times! I am wondering because we should have our commencement letter to them by Monday and with Christmas so close.. are they allowed to push it back until next year even though technically 10 business days would be the 18th of December and they still have that week of work? Should they not do a weeks worth of work?

Thanks in advance
Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

27/05/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

Hi so sorry for the late reply. I already contacted them and they wouldn't tell me instead they tried to get me to talk to one of their home coordinators and I'm not…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum