Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Individual Design - New Choice Homes

Page 6 of 19
More progress on the roof today😁😁

Roof carpenters finished today, electrical chasing next week.

After realising that we had misunderstood sections of the kitchen drawings NCH set up a meeting with their cabinetmaker and our CL to achieve our updated kitchen, I knew there was something that we missed discussing at pre-start..... So glad that we that we decided to build with them as the customer service extended has been prompt, professional and greatly appreciated.
Are they your updated plans? What was wrong with the initial kitchen?
In the end there was a few things. I did not want any end panels on the island bench to go to the floor as I like having a kick panel all the way around, much easier for flooring quad which is the main reason I didn't go with waterfall ends. Then I realised that they were not finishing the fridge recess in the Scullery as envisioned so we ended up moving the fridge to the WIP and putting in more draws which will look a lot better. Then we noticed that the dishwasher recess was not ideal for my built in dishwasher.
Choosy
In the end there was a few things. I did not want any end panels on the island bench to go to the floor as I like having a kick panel all the way around, much easier for flooring quad which is the main reason I didn't go with waterfall ends. Then I realised that they were not finishing the fridge recess in the Scullery as envisioned so we ended up moving the fridge to the WIP and putting in more draws which will look a lot better. Then we noticed that the dishwasher recess was not ideal for my built in dishwasher.

I've just realised the same about our built-in dishwasher. We are getting a semi-integrated one and although we'd asked for a panel to go on the front, I've just noticed that the plinth doesn't run across the dishwasher opening. Is there anything else I'm not considering for a built in dishwasher?
nicolac34
Choosy

I've just realised the same about our built-in dishwasher. We are getting a semi-integrated one and although we'd asked for a panel to go on the front, I've just noticed that the plinth doesn't run across the dishwasher opening. Is there anything else I'm not considering for a built in dishwasher?

This is our current Westinghouse in-built dishwasher and the photo that we used during our meeting. We removed the laminated end panels from their design leaving just the white panels and are getting a oversized kick panel supplied by the cabinet maker via NCH which will be installed along with Dishwasher after handover.
Choosy
nicolac34
Choosy

This is our current Westinghouse in-built dishwasher and the photo that we used during our meeting. We removed the laminated end panels from their design leaving just the white panels and are getting a oversized kick panel supplied by the cabinet maker via NCH which will be installed along with Dishwasher after handover.

Ok thanks for that - so we also don't need the laminated end panels I'm assuming - would that change the dimensions of the other cupboards?
The dishwasher is screwed into the side panels which hold it in place so the laminated ends are not required. Yes it does change the other cupboard/draw sizes, however we added in a extra set of draws on the scullery, made the sink cupboard smaller and put all the extra into the resized draws.
Updated plans
Whilst doing the variation to the Kitchen and Scullery we also added an extra two way switch for the activity room near the bedroom wall, simple as it already had a hallway switch.

Good news - Roof tiles arrived today

Sad news - The ensuite shower outlets and taps are wrong, meant to start 500mm from the corner not 300mm

Hopefully a quick fix? How much were you charged for the variation? We realised that we should have put two light switches in the WIR but only put one on one side. Maybe I should just get a sparky out afterwards.
J278
Hopefully a quick fix? How much were you charged for the variation? We realised that we should have put two light switches in the WIR but only put one on one side. Maybe I should just get a sparky out afterwards.

You have wall cavity on the side of your WIR so not hard to get done after handover, however it could look slightly different.
The 300mm plumbing drafting mistake was spotted by us after the slab went down and the variation was raised and signed in December at no cost as 300mm would put the outlet to close to the wall to use the shower. Unfortunately it appears that the plumber has used the old plans for this. We also asked if the water heater could be moved and they did manage to get the water heater in the new location, so at least the stuff up is on an internal wall. Waiting to hear back from our CL.
Our CL advised on Tuesday that the plumber will be coming back next week to rectify the ensuite plumbing and that the roof tiler is due to start next week. Intellegent Homes have done their conduit and cables and the electrican has been busy for the past few days.
Curious about why you have so many doors in your Master Suite? Could the door into the bedroom portion not have been left off to avoid a dark hallway and to make the bedroom feel bigger?
Reasons
I am a light sleeper and require a dark bedroom and the other half does shift type work so no bathroom light shining into the bedroom.
We can close the master bedroom door and visitors/kids have access to a second toilet without having to walk through our bedroom.
Guests using the Study can use our ensuite and toilet if the kids one is occupied and we can still access our bedroom.
Don't have to wait for one of the kids vacate our ensuite toilet to get changed, PIA before work
Doors can be left open or removed, they will only be closed when required and are lot more expensive to add later.
We can put a obscure glazed door on the ensuite after handover for extra light if needed for a fraction of the price.
All very valid reasons
smart thinking!
Roof plumber started today, so happy with the basalt coloured gutters, fascia and downpipes.

Looking good! We went out yesterday and still don’t have a roof
a week delay against their schedule. Wish they would give us an update as to why without me having to always follow up.
J278
Looking good! We went out yesterday and still don’t have a roof
a week delay against their schedule. Wish they would give us an update as to why without me having to always follow up.

I'm really surprised that your roof hasn't been done this week, the build next to us had their colorbond roof done before the christmas break and their slab went down about a month before us.
Related
10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum