Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Introducing the Stila BK1 - Verve (Plantation)

Page 6 of 9
well things have slowed - all started about 2 weeks back when I went to check the tiler. he was finishing the ensuite off. I had a look and the tiling is fine - but noticed that the ensuite door (which swings into the ensuite) won't clear the basin.

this design is off the plan - no displays so some of the options we've gone with haven't been validated for fit. No big deal since the solution is actually a better idea than the original option. one cavity slider door to be installed and I won't be losing my teeth when the missus busts the ensuite door down. but the solution had to be proposed and then a contract variation drawn up and signed off before the solution could be implimented.

now the csd was on back order, but turned up Friday afternoon. the chippy has to install and then the plasters have to come back and sheet it up, as well as redo a downstairs ceiling sheet that developed a sag. a bit of a hold up but the SS picked this up and his attention to detail is appreciated. best guess is painters in next week; this week will be chippy and plasterer.

the most frustrating part of the build so far is the grief the next door's tradies have given me. first there was a bit of a mound of red clay on the boundary so they pushed it all against the pillar in the alfresco. any rain and that would have left a decent stain in the bag brickwork, the next door neighbour sorted that out for me. But the tradies also took out a storm water poly pipe while they were being considerate enough to move the dirt onto the brickwork. then they boxed up the footpath for next door 25cm inside my boundary - fortunately the day they boxed it the owner turned up the same time I was there and he went beserk at them for not following the final plans. but when the tools finally poured the concrete they took out the water meter and another storm water poly pipe, and collapsed part of the services ditch - which they nicely filled with surplus exposed ag. I'll have to get rid of that now.

been able to change some electrics and get a few extras sorted with the sparkies and the chippy will be doing an extra 2/3 depth shelf in the pantry. Off the plan you don't necessarily get depth perception so when we did a walk around all these wonderful ideas came to us. Another brilliant idea is to have a hole cut in the laundry bench for the electrical cord for the front loader to reach up through the bench to the GPO at 1500mm. again obviously needs to be there but realising heights of GPOs and bench heights and two dimensional viewing can easily overlook these things.

I don't think we'll be finished before end of October now - not unless something drastically happens. but with two other houses nearing the same stage in the same development I can see why things might be rescheduled so that the three houses all end up completed around the same time. would that be too cynical?
Things have really been a bit topsy turvy for you of late. What's with the door? Despite this, I agree with have a c/s door - much better option anyway. If not October, fingers crossed for early Nov. At least you'll be in before Christmas!
Obviously shows they don't measure the plans correctly when they draw them. What a shame this is slowing you down Serge. BTW your ensuite does look nice!

Harribeka
What a pain about that door. Tell me, did they charge you for a post contract variation that was really their draftsman's fault? It's an over sight that could have been fixed with a ruler & pen a lot easier than the saw & hammer involved now.

And shame about the neighbours too, I'd be livid. In that regard I've been lucky with the extra space I have, I am the bad neighbour in my case! It sounds like the actual owner is on your side though, this horror could make you end up closer neighbours for it do you think?

Fingers crossed it all falls back into place like it was previously.
serge44
well things have slowed - all started about 2 weeks back when I went to check the tiler. he was finishing the ensuite off. I had a look and the tiling is fine - but noticed that the ensuite door (which swings into the ensuite) won't clear the basin.

That reminds me of a display home we looked at recently, there was a lovely bathroom with a window just above the bath tub itself that had plantation shutters on it, when we attempted to open the shutter, it butted up against the edge of the tub and couldnt be opened. So, whoever buys the home will have to get rid of the shutter and find another window covering solution.
I think the draftsman may have fallen for the old "430mm basin" trick - meaning they thought the basin was 430mm square external measure; but the basin in 430mm internal; the 18mm thick porcelain (x2) is obviously where the 36mm extra came from and the cause of the grief. and the old off the plan go is going to have the occasional blip. It's not a big deal and since the post contract variation is at the best price possible
and the solution is really a better option than the original offer how could I not be happy with the outcome.

thanks for the compliment on the colours Haribeka - I'd have more photos but when I went down with camera - a kind soul had shut the deliberately left open window that I intended to use.

Now I have to rely on the plasterers leaving a window open for ventilation later this week. hopefully more pictures later this week and perhaps just perhaps a better idea of a completion date.
I agree, looks like far less risk of a smack to the head if someone enters while you're using that sink.
Aqua
I agree, looks like far less risk of a smack to the head if someone enters while you're using that sink.

not that I need to use the mirror anyway *fatty head wobble
there was movement at the station

Facade has almost been finished off

and the front door has been installed

Splashback in

to match the island bench (to refresh memories)

and an extra shelf (top) in the pantry instead of being a > 600mm gap to the top.

now the ensuite door problem has been sorted and here is the result

so now the door can be opened you can look inside

first the shower recess

and the double vanity

the other bathroom is the same colours

and

and don't forget the kaboom room

the laundry

and the front door from the inside

Looks good serge. Guess the interior painters aren't too far away? Is it just the painting and electrical now?
Fantastic Serge
It's looking great. I really like the feature tiles and you have made good choices with your colours overall. Facade is very modern and stylish. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up!
but of plastering to be redone and then the painters. hopefully next week
The sliding door will be good in the ensuite Serge. Glad that wasm't so hard to sort out for you.

Why is it sometimes the painters are first and others the tilers are first. You were tiled first when we are going to be painted next week and have no tiling done yet??? Strange???

Love the render colours and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Harribeka
house looks lovely.. agreed on the colours - nice choice !

I get angry just reading your stories about the next door tradies -hoping our guys havent done the same to our neighbours! (but fair bit more space between houses so one would hope not). That and some of the other stories Ive read on the forum make me fair ropeable!

Fingers crossed for you to be finished soon... awesome you will be in and very settled before xmas!

we went for a drive through your estate a week or 2 ago.. and now that Ive read through this thread.. I do remember seeing it !
been a coupla weeks now and the painters have been and gone, and the sparky, plumber and carpenter are fitting off.

Here's the "Rat's Nest" (living room which will house lads 14 & 12 and x-box, and guitar hero etc)

the boy's bathroom has had mirror, screen and fittings added

the ensuite is almost done too (tilt head)

and what the kitchen is like with a lick of paint

shouldn't be too long now, maybe a coupla weeks or three all going well. And then the real fun begins.
Yay! It looks bee-yoo-ti-ful! Feature tiles to bathroom look great
thanks kindly - very impressed so far with how things are turning out.

if the missus can select colours like this on three hours of sleep do you think she could begin a career in interior decorating?
It's looking good. 3 weeks? Can't believe how time has flown.
Love the rats nest, what a great idea.
yes you are getting close now Serge. Have you scheduled the floors to
go in soon after handover
oooer looking good !!
How exciting for you !!
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum