Join Login
Building ForumIntroductions

G'day

Page 1 of 1
I managed to convince my wife to work full-time and let me go part-time so I could muck about with some landscaping and renovations.

We own a 100 year old Bluestone house on 76 acres in the Adelaide Hills. I have dreams of extending and landscaping and have been recommended this forum as an excellent place to seek advice and knowledge about the process. I am relatively handy and able to dig a mean ditch, but have little idea about the legalities and techniques that may be required, so hopefully I can find a few friends here to give some assistance!

I've had a bit of a browse around, but the sheer volume of information is a bit overwhelming

Is it better to ask specific questions in specific sub-forums or should I start a blog or something like that?

Lets get to work!
welcome. one day i would love some land in the hills
Some initial questions:

Can I be an Owner Builder? Are the financial advantages worth it? What is the process for SA?

We have significant issues with water drainage around the property and I have some major ideas for landscaping, retaining wall building and ground levelling. I am considering something like a theodolite and CAD software package for drawing up plans and the like. Where the hell do I start?

Given I have 76 acres (not all of which needs landscaping!) and a lot of digging to do I have thought about buying a tractor. Anyone here have any advice or suggestions about this?

Thanks for your time ....
I am so jealous! It sounds like you have my dream property!!!!
We are building up in Mt Barker too

Good luck on all the work!! Sounds like your going to be kept very busy!
Landed_Gentry
Is it better to ask specific questions in specific sub-forums or should I start a blog or something like that?

I'm working backwards here as I just answered your query on the landscaping thread.

Re your query, you are much better off posting queries in subject specific threads/sub forums regardless of whether you are building, landscaping or whatever. It amazes me when posters ask questions for example about gardening on the new home forum instead of in the gardening section. They must think that FU spends hours searching through obscure threads looking for people to help. The same goes for other subject matter.

A lot of people also search these threads for subject information and it assists everyone if subject matter is pigeonholed.

Welcome to the forum.
Related
You are here
Building ForumIntroductions
Home
Pros
Forum