Join Login
Building ForumIntroductions

Introductions Please!

Page 20 of 25
Welcome aboard Bernadette!
We hope that you find the forum an informative and sometimes entertaining place to visit!
Hi

My name is Kirsty and I believe stumbling across this forum has been a wonderful stroke of luck given my timing.

My partner and I have recently relocated to Port Lincoln SA from Adelaide and we are only just starting to look at the possability of building our first house.

What i have discovered so far is that building in a rural area certainly has it's own set of challanges. I would love to hear from people who are going through a similar experience.

If there are any threads about rural developing please feel free to link me to them
Thanks for the welcome Jason and hello everyone

My name is Caroline, I'm an absolute newbie to all of this - both posting in Forums and in building a home!
I'm seriously considering buying a block (in the Snowy Mts. area) and putting up a kit or transportable home.
One early question - can anyone provide any advice on the best (kit/ transp.) companies - for honesty, cost, reliability and all those important things?
I've done quite a bit of research and have a huge list of companies and floor plans. Don't know how to start narrowing it down! Any recommendations or advice?
Thanks very much for any help you can give - it might be a lifesaver!
roseycheeks
Hi - We (DH and myself) are starting a new building adventure and I am enjoying reading all the threads and getting some awesome ideas.

We are in WA and looking to build in Hammond Park SOR in Perth.

Current house was built with Impressions but we are finding the layout of our existing home is missing some elements which are too hard to renovate into existence.

Builder: TBA - Scott Park, Summit and Switch are all in front atm
Land: Eden Green estate, Hammond Park
Land Settlement: 28 June 2011

Exciting times indeed!

hi how are you going started in hammond park !!! I get my keys in a fortnight !!!! im excited then 1 month worth of handy tradies work to do myself project managing.
cb2627
Thanks for the welcome Jason and hello everyone

My name is Caroline, I'm an absolute newbie to all of this - both posting in Forums and in building a home!
I'm seriously considering buying a block (in the Snowy Mts. area) and putting up a kit or transportable home.
One early question - can anyone provide any advice on the best (kit/ transp.) companies - for honesty, cost, reliability and all those important things?
I've done quite a bit of research and have a huge list of companies and floor plans. Don't know how to start narrowing it down! Any recommendations or advice?
Thanks very much for any help you can give - it might be a lifesaver!

Hi Caroline,

Around 18 months to 2 years ago, I went through the process of purchasing a new transportable home from a company based in Orange called Riverbuilt (formerly Westrade) which are a subdivision Bell River Homes (http://www.riverbuilt.com.au/cabins#)
Theres actually a picture of our cabin on this web page showing it loaded on the back of the truck on the video link

All in all it was a great experience. The staff were great to deal with. They answered all my questions and concerns honestly and quickly.

The quality of the work is great too. We opted for a few changes to the standard design ("The Jervis" - I dont think this is available now though.) which took the costs up but there's a few designs to choose from.

Id say they will deliver to your area too. Im located in Mystery Bay, just south of Narooma on the far south coast of NSW.

Heres some pics of our cabin:

These pics were taken when the cabin was delivered which was in Sept 2010. Weve been living int it since November 2010 as stage 1 of our building process while we were waiting to sell our House which has finally gone through and we are waiting for settlement (next Friday) so we can finally get into Stage 2, The Sirocco 7 with Masterton Homes: http://www.masterton.com.au/designs/single-storey-designs/sirocco/

Feel free to PM me any questions you might have and I will be glad to help out.

Cheers,
Paul.
Good Afternoon everybody...

Hello from a first time home owner (fingers crossed as we as seeing the money man on Monday to finalise applications...
)

We have put a Conditional Contract on a block of land in Bushland Beach, (an outer are of Townsville in North Queensland), subject to the usual finance clause and an additional one that a house plan can be made to fit on the block to out agreeance and budget....

we have drawn up a rough idea of what we would like and our sketch is currently at a builder to adjust it to fit the block.. (it will be wider from side to side than what it is deeper from front to back).... so fingers crossed...

We are officially excitified (half excited half terrified).. but bring it on....

have a good weekend...

Maria
Hi members of homeone,

I am from Melbourne. I am new to this forum and new to the construction. I havent built before so have lots of questions in mind and hoping will get answered on this forum.

I have a block of land in Berwick (South East of Melbourne area) in the Chase Estate and planning to start a construction on that. And I am also planning to by a block of land in Berwick Waters, new estate coming in Clyde North which is just behind the Chase Estate.

Before I ask any question about construction, I would like to know when I inquired about block of land Berwick Waters the block I am interested in has filling.

Can anyone explain what filling means ?? What is the reason ??

I really like this block and location. It is bit pricey but I can afford to buy it for my future home as it doesnt have much covenant and seem developer is good as well.

So if can someone explain me what is filling on lot means and reason for that, it will be very much helpful to me to make a decision.

Thanks for making me a part of this community.
Welcome aboard everyone! We at the Forum hope that you find lots of useful information and friendly advice!

If you have a specific question then please use the search function or start your own thread in the appropriate sub forum!
Hi all,

Recently I had a pschologically bruising encounter with a client over an agreed price which then turned into a nasty acusatory jab at my experience and qualifications as a draftsperson, by a person who worked for a few years with a big name franchise home builder. As of today I wait with baited breath in hope that the cheque I was given as final payment does not bounce.

This whole thing has really hit me hard for some reason, for years I've had (par for the course) discussion and disagrements over payment terms etc. But it has never really effected me like this recent encounter has. I think at it's core it was the questioning of my commitment, experience, skills and qualifications that has really really hurt.

Anyway it got me thinking that I need to speak out and at least join a forum to (respectfully) vent some frustration and hopefully help out anyone thinking of building OR going into the building industry.

I've been on both sides of the fence over the years as client or designer/draftie and hope I can impart some of my experiences.

(sorry I wont be divulging my name) Design Draftsman.

watch out for my first topic on draftsperson v architect
hard_aground
hello to everyone
this is bernadette here.
firstly, thanks to the sponsors for this great forum.
ive been a member of an american forum at woodenboat.com since 1999. sailing and building boats is my usual distraction.... however, today i signed a contract on a block of land. i actually came home from the real estate office feeling a little bit uneasy about the whole procees. i think it was just the shock of starting out on this land based adventure!
anyhow, i am a late starter at this house building gig.
i am currently part way through building my third cruising yacht but i have always wanted to have a 'home base' and now is the time to do this.
so i hope to be able to gather a lot of information from the forum and also meet some nice people along the way.

bernadette

Hi Bernadette,

Oooooh, sailing the Whitsunday islands in your new yacht, I bet! Best place in the world to indulge in your hobby. Lucky you.
I should introduce myself although I have been on here a week or so already.

My name is Louise and our build has just started. We bought 2 acres a year ago exactly! (Sorry I just realised the date so got a little excited). It took us ages to design our house. We are attempting to build as sustainable as we can, the environment is something DH and I feel very strongly about so that is our main motivation.
I sure wish I had come across this sooner during all the months of research and so on, but am glad that I am on here now to ask questions, learn stuff and share my excitement
Hi everyone.
This would have to be the 10th forum I have joined in the last few years, although the other forums have been car and motorbike related, and I know that I will get a lot more out of this one as I again venture down the owner builders road. My name is Cameron and I settle on a block of land in Tamworth, NSW this coming Friday. I am moving from 60 acres out of town so I am not sure how I will like it. I started drawing my plans up last August when I signed contracts. I took what I had drawn to a draftsman who did them up correctly and they and the Basix were submitted to council last Tuesday, so hopeing they will be back to me in 4 weeks, around the same time as my engineers details. Once I have worked out how to post plans, photos etc, I will post them up. As mentioned earlier, I have owner built before, a large house in federation style at Springwood, NSW and a large extension at my present house, but I can already see that things have changed.
Hi
To put it iin a few words I have been a contract project foreman and manager for the past 30 years with most of the larger home builders and larger unit developers in NSW.
My role has been to deliver the last 5% to the internal and external of the buildings.
This is the part that always gets forgotten because of either time constraints or budget issues.
But it is one of the most important parts of the job the last part of the job that is the first part that you see when it is finished.
My qualifications and experience are as follows.
Qualified : Painter Gold licence/Renderer/Carpenter/Steel fabricator/Consultant
Experience :30 years in the trade as a finishing engineer
Attributes : I think the most important attribute would have to be my blanket honesty.
I run a small service company in Sydney that inspects finishing trades work and products.I have an excessive amount of Department of fair trade practice work within the Sydney metro, representing private people as well as larger companies. To date I enjoy a very high percentage of successful outcomes in that field 98% wins.
Thanks for the opportunity to tell you a bit about my self.
www.hayesmidson&co.com
Hello everyone. My wife and I recently purchase a block and will be looking for a builder to build our dream home. It is both scary and exciting, because this is the first house that we will be building. I am sure I will be posting a lot of newbie questions and hopefully can get some help on this forum.
As a newbie sure you can get lots of help around here Lazy Pig. You’re in the forum with nice people to talk to and with great information to share. Welcome to forum.homeone
G'day all, my name is Russ.

Have been lurking around this forum for a couple weeks, and decided signing up and jumping into the fray would be of benefit to myself.

Found this site in my first steps after finally deciding it's high time I take the plunge and journey into becoming a homeowner. Thought this would be a good place to help answer my questions as I discover the process. My current thinking has me buying a small block of land on the NSW Central Coast / Hunter region and going the owner/builder route.

It seems a little daunting but being single with no kids, my housing needs are rather simple. Quite honestly, the garage/workshop I build will be bigger than my living quarters

Anyways, glad to be here. It'll be a while before anything happens whilst I continue to save money; decide; learn; re-decide and so on - and this looks like the place that can help in each of those areas.

Cheers,
Russ
I must say what a wonderful forum this is and what a pleasure it is to join up and introduce myself.
My family ( two kids and husband ) are in the process of building our first house here in wintry New Zealand. I really have found the information here invaluble and I think I might possibly be able to contribute some down to earth house building "advice" to others ( well maybe/ maybe not! ) The depth of knowledge on this forum is fantastic - I only wish I'd discovered you all months ago!
Hi Everyone

Another newcomer here with loads of questions and hopefully just as much advice. We have just embarked on a renovation and extension of our 100+ year old Edwardian, living in the front four rooms with two staffies, a small child, no kitchen, laundry or bathroom. Makeshift kitchen (microwave, electric fry pan & slow cooker) and a portable bathroom in the front yard. Yes, middle of winter I know but hey, it means I can paint in the spring and hopefully look forward to having a family Christmas at our place.

I have been imagining myself living in 'the house of my dreams' for some three years now and we have finally started. It is the only thing that keeps me sane!

cheers
Hello everyone.
I'm Gordon. My wife and I are just about to start the process of building our retirement home in Kingston Se, South Australia. We have a lovely block of land on the esplanade facing west so we can get a lovely sunset on the ocean.

As we've never built, there are so many questions. We have our first meeting with a draftsman in two weeks. We've got an idea of the process but are really thinking we need to educate ourselves before we start making any decisions.

If (when) I have questions, where is the best section to post them? I'm sure I'll have so many questions and looking forward to reading all the advice.

Cheers.
Hi all

Wow! I feel a bit foolish having been in the industry for 6 years and only just stumbled upon HomeOne.

My name is Sofia and i'm based in Melbourne.

I've done my own renovations, new town house builds and have worked for both commercial and residential builders as an Estimator, Contract Administrator and Interior Selections Consultant. Yep... A real mixed bag in a short amount of time but there isn't much I haven't seen or come across.

I hope I can make some decent contributions to the forums as well as gain some more knowledge from other members.
Related
You are here
Building ForumIntroductions
Home
Pros
Forum