Join Login
Building ForumMove Management

Storing Furniture for up to 12 months

Page 1 of 1
What's the safest, cheapest method of storing your furniture whilst your home is being built?

ie: We are going to sell our existing home and move in with my parents whilst our house is being built. Where should we store our stuff?

Someone mentioned a shipping container company that came to your house, you then load it, lock it and they cart it away to store somewhere. We have someone's land we could store a container on... do people actually rent out shipping containers? Are they water proof? How much does it cost?
I'm not sure how much they are to rent. Though My dad has brought one to store stuff while building. He then can re-sell it when done or use it behind his shed for extra storage.

I think he paid $4000 for his.
Thanks for that. I was interested in hiring one. Someone once mentioned to me the possibility of hiring them...I'll have to search Google.
Hi - our stuff is going into storage at the moving company on thursday - it's $52 per week for a 3 bedroom unit (37 cubic metres of goods)

We are in Sydney
The $4k for a container is about the right price- but they do leak - hey why are they selling them ? In reality a container is never watertight - so be aware of the seasons you are storing your furniture. ie where are, what are the expected weather patterns, verim that might get in etc.

And no matter what you do - in OZ - be ready - because something might be less perfect than it was when you put it away.
Steve
there's a guy just out of sunny Ballarat selling and hiring them.

I'm not sure on the hire charges though but i can find out if needed.
stonecutter1309
Hi - our stuff is going into storage at the moving company on thursday - it's $52 per week for a 3 bedroom unit (37 cubic metres of goods)

We are in Sydney

Which company was that with Stonecutter? Which part of sydney? happy with them? Thanks!
i rent three containers while building but they were on my own land and they were $15.00 a week each
Hi oztish,
I have a few tips for you if you are worried about leakage buy a big tarp to cover the top and tie it down with star pickets. If you want to get the container taking away and stored somewhere ring some of the big removal companies who also have storage. It can get pricy though, just make sure you ring around.

But to make things easier why don't you just go to a self storage unit and get a removalist to move it in for you. It will probably cost you for a 40 cubic metre unit anout $250 to $300 a month and they have cameras and everything. If you need anymore help post me back.
Samuel Campbell
Related
9/05/2024
2 months old decking problems

Outdoor Living

Our external decking was only installed 2 months ago, and already moulded, with cracks, and some timber decolorated. The decking is in an exposed area, uncovered in our…

You are here
Building ForumMove Management
Home
Pros
Forum