Join Login
Building ForumFeng Shui

Side Courtyard affecting Feng Shui

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

Does anyone know if having a 'C' shaped house (with a central courtyard) is bad? I'm thinking for a start that we should at least have a water feature in front of the entry/ gallery window...

Floorplan below:

[/img][/url]
thats a very nice and unique floor plan you have amilelka.

i've been reading on feng shui and noted the following:
1. best shape of a house is square or rectangle because it looks complete. If irregularly shaped, mirrors are placed on the walls of missing areas.
2. opening of the front door should not be straight to another door/window at the end of the house. Put decors, tables, chimes in between to break the path.

but your plan looks so nice. I guess it all boils down to how comfortable you are with your house.
A square or rectilinear plan is the ideal but we know that usually is not the case. As for a C plan, or a U plan, in feng shui terms, one segment of a 9-square is missing. However, before we know what is lacking you will need to calculate your "kua" number and know the direction of your house on site.

As noted, a direct visual or physical path from the entry through the house may not be ideal, it is usually associated with flowing of the qi straight out of the house but in essence, i think it is more of a privacy/pyschological issue. Having a 90 degree angle turn in the entry gallery provides this physical break but you can certainly put a feng shui pond between the alfresco and the entry side of the house to enhance the visual approach. Placing a piece of furniture in front of the large window in the entry can also improve the space.

Of course, the lacking piece of puzzle in the house plan is actually where your garden is. Have a niece landscape garden to compensate for the missing link should actually solve your problem? perhaps
Thanks for your replies

I was really hoping to make the courtyard garden the 'missing room'. I really love having a nice garden space, so it will definately spend a lot of time there! I think I will be digging up my old feng-shui books and doing more research!
it all depends on which direction the courtyard is + the family members that dwells in it.
Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

3/09/2023
Can you build on both side fence boundaries (Victoria)?

General Discussion

Hey everyone Not for me or anyone I know, just generally interested. For a single allotment house, are you allowed to take the fence on both sides of your house and…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

You are here
Building ForumFeng Shui
Home
Pros
Forum