Join Login
Building ForumFeng Shui

Staircase facing front door

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone...I have heard that the staircase is not so good when it's facing the front door, is there anything I can do to counteract this??
Sure can, you can do what my friend did.
Put in a landing and the last 2 steps in the staircase turns 90 degrees from the other steps.
I think you'll find that most builders offer a 'feng shui' staircase option ~ for some extra $$$ of course!
I am not sure what you mean, sorry!! But our staircase goes straight up in the middle and off to the sides, so one goes up to the left and one to the right. Is that what you mean?
Riss
I am not sure what you mean, sorry!! But our staircase goes straight up in the middle and off to the sides, so one goes up to the left and one to the right. Is that what you mean?

I take it you have a butterfly staircase like in the Majestic of Henley Homes. So if you stood at the last step down you would face the door? Can you block that off and make into a landing so that the only way you can get off the staircase is to the sides (left and right).

Becomes:

But on both sides so that it doesn't go straight to the door.
Ha Ha Ha!! We are actually building the Majestic by Henley!! But my partner loves the way the staircase is that's why I was asking about ways to counteract it as he does not want to change the style of it.
Riss
Ha Ha Ha!! We are actually building the Majestic by Henley!! But my partner loves the way the staircase is that's why I was asking about ways to counteract it as he does not want to change the style of it.

This is so when late for work in the morning it will be possible to charge down the stairs and make a straight run through the door (hopefully open)
GeoffW1
This is so when late for work in the morning it will be possible to charge down the stairs and make a straight run through the door (hopefully open)

Well not any more with the Feng Shui fix... he'll have to hurdle the banister at the end of the stairs.

Quote:
We are actually building the Majestic by Henley!!

See if they have a Feng Shui option for the stairs, it should be in their big book of options. They have it in most of the designs, last time I looked.
I never understood feng shui haha

Can't you counteract bad feng shui

it’s a good Feng Shui practice to strategically place a bushy plant at the bottom of the staircase to help absorb and slow down Qi.

I love the staircase in the magestic, changing it just wouldn't make it the same!
Mrs P
it’s a good Feng Shui practice to strategically place a bushy plant at the bottom of the staircase to help absorb and slow down Qi.

That's the other option. I would actually put a really large entrance table with some sort of climbing vines going up under a chandelier. It would make a grand entrance while still keeping the staircase as is. Hubby can't lose his keys that way either!

how does this sound to you?:

"Traditionally, the entrance to a Chinese building was a doorless opening where visitors stepped over a threshold that rose several inches off the ground. The superstitious reason behind this high stoop was that it would trip up devils. In fact it kept water out during the rainy season and dirt out during dry spells. Once inside, visitors faced an ornate “spirit screen” that was supposed to stop devils and ghosts in their tracks. In fact, the screen shielded the interior from winds.

If your house has a stairway that aims at the front door, hang a crystal or a wind chime between the lowest step and the front door to hold in wealth and recirculate ch’i." - http://fengshuiforyourhome.wordpress.com/lesson-4/

How about a crystal chandelier in the middle of the foyer??
Another option would be to not use the front entrance so you dont let the chi flow out. Exit through another door. Does the House have a double door?
janenguyen
Another option would be to not use the front entrance ....
My sister bought the house of her dreams and it had a staircase facing the front door. My dad totally believes in Feng shui and told her not to buy the house for this reason, though she didnt listen.

So what she does now is exit out of the house through the garage so they rarely use the front entrance door. If they do then they only open one side of the double door slightly.

hehehehe It sounds pretty stupid but if you believe it will make a difference.
I thought it was only in certain cultures that they didnt like the stairs to face the front door

Anyhoo, in saying that, we made sure our door did not face the front door direct for resale purpose
if ever we decided to sell. No point putting off 70% of future buyers. It had nothing to do with Feng shui, purely a business decision.

Mrs B
you will need a partition/screen near the door, so that the Qi wont "gush" straight up the stairs, good qi turning into "turbulence"(bad).

some samples

http://image.cn.made-in-china.com/2f0j0 ... %A3%8E.jpg

http://images.google.com.sg/images?q=%E ... =en&tab=wi
Thanks Snipfer!
Mrs B
I thought it was only in certain cultures that they didnt like the stairs to face the front door

Anyhoo, in saying that, we made sure our door did not face the front door direct for resale purpose
if ever we decided to sell. No point putting off 70% of future buyers. It had nothing to do with Feng shui, purely a business decision.

Mrs B

you've got a nice house - bright with lots of natural light. a big + point in fs.

in life analysis;
a person when in good luck tends to make all the wise decisions.
Riss
Thanks Snipfer!

dont mention
Nobody seriously believes this do they????

Next we'll be conducting ceremonies to rid us of the ''evil spirits'' lol

Pix
Pixelated
Nobody seriously believes this do they????

Next we'll be conducting ceremonies to rid us of the ''evil spirits'' lol

Pix

If you had talked about the God particle, string theory, Dark Matter, Anti-matter and Multiple dimension theory only 30 odd years ago people would have laughed at you. If you had talked about instant communication between countries, transmission of voice and sound they would have been saying you are a dreamer and that that stuff belongs in science fiction novels, and not be taught in schools.

People tend to mock that which they no ability to understand and more often, what they fear they could never understand.
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

28/12/2023
$13,500 staircase and we get grade E timber.

Building A New House

Staircases and sausages. Should thou wish to keep thy palate sweet for sausages, avert thine eyes from their crafting.

30/01/2024
Help Staircase void too small

Building A New House

Not sure if that works? I was told the issue is the headspace clearance requirement on step 4. My builder is proposing shifting the beam 310mm towards the kitchen...I'm…

You are here
Building ForumFeng Shui
Home
Pros
Forum