Join Login
Building ForumFeng Shui

Roof colour and fengshui?

Page 1 of 1
What roof colours are good? I read somewhere blue and black are not good. How is grey?
VP
I'm very new at understanding Feng Shui, but my understanding is black or dark colours are not desired on a roof due to them encouraging the black tortoise.
And as you say blue is no good because it represents water and it is not good to live with water over your head.
I'll check in some of my books see what I can find.
If you're thinking light grey I could not see any reason why not. Grey represent metal, and this should be a good thing.
More later
Steve
What about terracotta?
anyone know?
Sorry to pull up an old thread....Steve did you end up finding out about roof colours? I'm having red, is that any good? What about a red front door?

Also as far as facades go, are there any rules? For example, doors lighter than bricks or vice versa. Colours that shouldn't be used, or colour combos that shouldn't be used?

Any help from anyone would be great.

Jo

And Bel, ignore this thread!! You're confused enough!!!
Leaving now
Black is bad for a roof colour.
as for the others - there was another link posted here with lots of feng shui links. Maybe they will have some pointers re exteriour colours.
Steve
colours comprises only a minor part of the overall fengshui of a house.
it's the layout of living room/kitchen/bedrooms + house facing + etc that matters most.
I didn't know that there's a right color for the roof.
Yak_Chat
Black is bad for a roof colour.
as for the others - there was another link posted here with lots of feng shui links. Maybe they will have some pointers re exteriour colours.
Steve

Good thing my roof is going to be Barramundi then and not black!
Yak_Chat
dark colours are not desired on a roof due to them encouraging the black tortoise

Beware anything off-white as well, or any hairy roof covering. They may bring the giant mutant space goat.
Cabinfever
Yak_Chat
dark colours are not desired on a roof due to them encouraging the black tortoise

Beware anything off-white as well, or any hairy roof covering. They may bring the giant mutant space goat.

what do you mean by hairy roof covering? I didn't see anything like that before
I don't think dark colours really matters, as long as not something sharp and pointy.
I agreed to snipfer , layout is something that really more important.
In old time in China, there were rules for colouring the roof, the wall, the main door and so.

There are three different colouring rules. 1 for the Emperor, like the Palace. 2. For general citizen, and 3 for religious buildings.

Now in China, most of them do not follow the rules.

For general citizen, the colour normally arrange in this way.

Roof: Green, In Wu Xing (Five Elements) Green is Wood.

Wall: Red, Red is Fire.

In Wu Xing Theory.

Heaven the sky is Metal
Rain is Water.
Roof Green is Wood.
Wall Red is Fire
The House is sitting on the Earth. So we have this arrangement. It is in the Wu Xing enhancing cycle.

Metal --> Water --> Wood --> Fire --> Earth (The Home)

If you look at the European countries, most of the roofs are red. As red is fire which controls Metal. Metal is the respiratory system. Most Europeans their respiratory system is relatively weaker.

My walls of the house is reddish. so I had my own roof painted green.

A few years ago, I designed a house for a friend in Fairfield using the above colour rules for his house. He has been doing very well. Of course the facing, layout, kitchen/bedroom/toilet are important too.

Cheers!

Edgar (Lok Tin) Yung
Just make sure your front door is not facing stairs if it is a double storey house. l heard thats pretty bad feng shui.
janenguyen
Just make sure your front door is not facing stairs if it is a double storey house. l heard thats pretty bad feng shui.

Yes, it is bad Feng Shui if outside is another stairs going down too.

Cheers!

Edgar (Lok Tin) Yung
What about natural slate?!
Will def follow that color. Red for wall and green for roof. Is light red ok?
Related
24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

30/05/2024
Roof Colour - Northern Beaches Council

Building A New House

We had a DA approved last year and here is the condition that was imposed by Northern Beaches council:

4/10/2023
Roof and Garage color

Building A New House

I would probably definitely consider contrasting out garage door (e.g. light ash would look great) and make downpipes and fascia same colour as your walls, not as your…

You are here
Building ForumFeng Shui
Home
Pros
Forum