Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Doors, doors, doors! Recommendations please for WA!

Page 1 of 1
For a reason I cannot fathom, I am more than unusually interested in the doors that we'll be putting in our new build. Can anyone suggest anyone in Perth who may be able to help me with the below?

I really would like almost floor to ceiling concealed sliding doors (like this https://www.box15.co.uk/products/2307/ghost-concealed-internal-sliding-door-system?catid=67 ). I really would rather NOT have the builder supply and install them. Therefore, because they are not 'standard' height doors, I need someone who can make the doors and install them. I don't really want special doors as such - just mdf or core with laminate (black matte) on both sides.

In addition, for our cupboards, I'd like ceiling mounted sliding doors. Same material (black laminate), but, of course, taller than standard doors.

Also, for one of our cupboards, I'd like ceiling mounted stacking doors - again black laminate.

For the ceiling mounted stuff, the builder is telling me that these have to be installed during build - is this true? If it's not true, would there be any advantages to me getting it done by the builder anyway?

Thanks!
Anjc
Cool roller cantilever doors
Here's the problem. Once the builder sees the price of those doors the normal fitting rates doesn't apply
Your builder is correct I doubt they can be fitted after handover as the lintel will require reinforcing ...... so you have a door jam (excuse the pun)
StructuralBIMGuy
@Anjc
Cool roller cantilever doors
Here's the problem. Once the builder sees the price of those doors the normal fitting rates doesn't apply
Your builder is correct I doubt they can be fitted after handover as the lintel will require reinforcing ...... so you have a door jam (excuse the pun)

Oh shoot! Great pun! If I didn't have a sense of humour before this building malarky began then I sure would have needed to develop one or I think I'd be done for by now!

Just to clarify, though, the builder did not say I had to get them to do the swanky concealed doors - they said I had to get them to install the other ceiling hung cupboard doors (which won't be the swanky concealed kind - or rather the concealed runner would be in the ceiling rather than on the wall...oh shoot - the cupboard doors will not be the kind in the link I posted originally - they will be this kind https://www.cavitysliders.com.au/Products/Track-Systems/FH-CeilingMountTrack and these are the ones the builder said they had to install!).

You rekon I ALSO have to get them to install the swank ones? It's a double jam!

The installation instructions of the swanky ones have me installing the concealed rollers just above the opening (yes, that jammy bit) but as I'd like floor to ceiling, I was thinking the rollers could go further up the wall - almost at the ceiling. Still an issue do you think?
AnjC
The installation instructions of the swanky ones have me installing the concealed rollers just above the opening (yes, that jammy bit) but as I'd like floor to ceiling, I was thinking the rollers could go further up the wall - almost at the ceiling. Still an issue do you think?

I suggest your builder ( at their expense) draw up proper construction details for on site, costings
and for your visualisation I would recommend a Bim 3D model.
at a glance The technical details are a bit light-on and appeals to Architects only
Here is an eg of Construction/Engineering 3D Bim hth
Spiral Staircase
IMO if you are paying good money you want better information, instructions and justifications,etc
Cheers
Chris
Thanks heaps!
Where abouts on your plan are you installing the doors?
Chippy, we’re installing the sexy concealed sliding doors on the master, the second bedroom; and the bathroom door.

I think I’m going to take your advice re the wardrobes though and just build them in - the wardrobes were where we were going to put the concealed in the ceiling sliding doors.

I’m going with a good old fashioned steel (and glass) barn door to the upper home theatre.
Those concealed sliders look shmick.
My only concern would be the fixing to the wall. The doors you describe won't be light so there will be a lot of weight cantilevered of the wall runners. Are you going to use the additional bottom wheels?
The Verticore bricks that your builder will use tend to be more holes than brick and getting a smaller gauge fixing to grab can sometimes be a challenge. Depending on what size and quantity of fixings can be used to fit the wall runner will tell you how successful the install will be.
In a framed house you can trim out where the wall runner is going to be fixed and using nice solid timber screws you can guarantee getting a solid fix. When you use masonry fixings in Verticore it can sometimes be a bit of a struggle. You could probably use chemical anchors if required.
If you struggle finding a manufacturer for the doors, let me know. I can help you out.
Related
5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum