Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Best Soundproof Entry Door with glass panels (Perth)?

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys
We want to get a new entry door that will allow light to our dark hallway but also provide excellent sound reduction as we live on a busy street. The frame is warped so will replace that too and get acoustic perimeter and drop seals.

This is our current door:

Can anyone recommend an entry door with glass panels that also has excellent sound reduction? The best I have found so far are the Hume Nexus, Verve or Newington doors which are sound rated RW 31 (comparable to many solid doors I've seen). Actually I don't understand how they are able to achieve this rating with an MDF core and 6.38mm glass panels (not double glazed).

Doorstop say they do a solid engineered timber door with a glass panel which should be better than Hume's, but it hasn't been tested to the Australian Standard so no official sound rating.

Any other recs? Happy to spend up to around $2.5k including full installation and new frame and seals.
Hi, Personally I think this will be hard to achieve to timber, unless you get one specially made by a decent joiner and double glaze it.

I would get some quotes from an aluminium window/door manufacturer, and consider an aluminium frame with double glazing. My understanding is the aluminium won't warp as much as timber. It should seal quite well.

For glazing, I would suggesting something like: 6.5mm Hush - Argon air gap (10mm?) - 5mm Toughened

You can also tone the Hush (which is like a standard laminate but with a special core interlayer) in grey to give some level of privacy.
Thank you for your reply. I did get one quote for an aluminium door with double glazed panels... it came out to $3.4k (the good thing is it's powder coated so doesn't need painting, and includes a security screen). Maybe I'll grab another couple of quotes and see if I can do it for closer to $2.5k.
EcoEco double glazed entry door & frame - aluminium double glazed <$1,500 Pick up Melbourne Rw 35.
ECOECO
EcoEco double glazed entry door & frame - aluminium double glazed <$1,500 Pick up Melbourne Rw 35.

Too bad you're not in Perth
I am happy to be in Melbourne, though my daughter, son-in-law and their 6 children do live in Lesmurdie.
severuss
I had a similar situation in my house, because of the door there was not enough light in the room, since we have a small window and mostly sunlight comes from the main large room. A big problem was that our door provided us with excellent sound insulation, so we enjoyed our sleep every night. I am afraid that after installing another door, the noise insulation will deteriorate and my sleep will worsen with it. A friend of mine advised us to seek help at https://silenthomehub.com/, as they are experts in the field and can advise on a good door that would satisfy all our conditions. They provide the very best silent devices to keep your home calm.

Easy solution, replace the door with a double glazed one.
Related
10/03/2024
Fittting Lower Ground entry door/landing in 2200mm of FFL

Renovation + Home Improvement

I am looking to design an entry door to a lower ground basement that has 2200mm between the external entry height to FFL of the ground floor. This door will provide an…

22/01/2024
Installing laminate panels on concrete ceiling

General Discussion

Hello - we were hoping to apply laminate click lock panels to our concrete ceiling, but not too sure how to go about attaching the panels to the concrete. Any idea what…

18/03/2024
DIY Decorative Wall Panels

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hey everyone, Jumping on the forum to see if anyone…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum