Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Help! My awning windows don't open!

Page 1 of 1
Hi! I'd be really grateful for any opinions. We're currently building a house and our bedroom has two tall (1800 i think) awning windows (single panel). We have just inspected and discovered that the chain is very short - they don't open past the window sill. So i'm very concerned they won't let in any air. Our builder tells us this is a requirement because they are tall - something about a problem with flex if they open further.

During the planning phase we never questioned how far out they would go - i just assumed that as they were opening windows, that they would open. In my view if it doesn't go past the building line outside it is not actually opening. I can accept the manufacturer's recommendation given they are tall windows - but feel that we should have been told about this and should have a double-panelled window so it could open out.

Am i being unreasonable? Does anyone have an awning window that doesn't open past the wall - is it effective? Has anyone ignored the manufacturer's advice and had the chain switched so it can open wider?

Any thoughts / experience / advice would be gratefully received!
Hi Alice k,
We have two 150x60 awning windows and a 180x120 awning window and they all definitely open past the sill! I would be taking it further as in my opinion that’s completely unacceptable. They should have either advised you of the possibility at the time of planning or accepted that a mistake has been made now and offer some kind of solution. I bet if it was the builders windows he wouldn’t have them. Hope you have some luck and have it fixed!

alice k
Hi! I'd be really grateful for any opinions. We're currently building a house and our bedroom has two tall (1800 i think) awning windows (single panel). We have just inspected and discovered that the chain is very short - they don't open past the window sill. So i'm very concerned they won't let in any air. Our builder tells us this is a requirement because they are tall - something about a problem with flex if they open further.

During the planning phase we never questioned how far out they would go - i just assumed that as they were opening windows, that they would open. In my view if it doesn't go past the building line outside it is not actually opening. I can accept the manufacturer's recommendation given they are tall windows - but feel that we should have been told about this and should have a double-panelled window so it could open out.

Am i being unreasonable? Does anyone have an awning window that doesn't open past the wall - is it effective? Has anyone ignored the manufacturer's advice and had the chain switched so it can open wider?

In certain circumstances to follow regulations, the windows must be restricted to 125mm.
JAMBY
Hi Alice k,
We have two 150x60 awning windows and a 180x120 awning window and they all definitely open past the sill! I would be taking it further as in my opinion that’s completely unacceptable. They should have either advised you of the possibility at the time of planning or accepted that a mistake has been made now and offer some kind of solution. I bet if it was the builders windows he wouldn’t have them. Hope you have some luck and have it fixed!

ECOECO
alice k

In certain circumstances to follow regulations, the windows must be restricted to 125mm.
Related
16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

22/08/2023
public open space contribution

General Discussion

Cupcake.girl This really depends on your local council. Each one has different definitions and ways to calculate contributions. This is called a contribution…

17/03/2024
Large open plan living room layout options

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hello! We have a very large open plan living room and wanted to get layout options, and furnishing ideas for this space. Currently there is only a…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum