Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Temporary Window Coverings

Page 1 of 5
Hi Everyone I was just wanting ask what everyone has or is planning to use as temporary window coverings in their new houses. We don;t want to damage the window surrounds when doing this but are uncertain of what wouyld work best. We are only concerned about the bedrooms obviously. And hopefully we will be able to order window coverings as soon as we eventaully get handover. Of course their will be a waiting period for them to be ready.

Look forward to your thoughts on this one.
Have you considered Thomas the Tank Engine sheets? They seem to be popular in some parts. (Sorry, just my lame attempt at humour. )

Didn't PD give you the opportunity to pre-order your window coverings when you went through the colour selection process???? If not, shame on them!
Hi Bubaloo.

In the past I have always used old sheets...I hate the look and always felt the house wasnt complete without the window furnishings. This time around, I am getting quotes now...as soon as the plastering is finished and the wood floors laid. By the time we move in, everything should be made measured and ordered 2 months ago...well thats the idea

Mrs B
PD didn't offer up this info or chance. But I am sorry to say this doesn't surprise me at all. It just follows on from all the other lame attempts at customer service they have shown us. They wouldn't know good customer service if it jumped up and bit them.
bubaloo
PD didn't offer up this info or chance. But I am sorry to say this doesn't surprise me at all. It just follows on from all the other lame attempts at customer service they have shown us. They wouldn't know good customer service if it jumped up and bit them.

We asked and were told they dont do window covering, the peron we were talking to said they have no problem letting you do the measurements when plaster is up and they were more than open to letting a professional come through with you to help measure etc.

As for all the sales service bashing that PD has been recieving I've got to just put my 2c in, we must have either struck the most helpful person at PD or people expect too much, we get calls just about every 2 days to let us know whats happening and what we need to provide them. Just about all our queries get answered on the phone or via email the same day and we get along fantastically with everyone we have met there, I couldnt ask for more! There have been some disapointments like window dressing, bathroom acessories and the like but PD arent alone on most of these points and they are pretty easy to cover off yourself.
I think Bunnings sell these temporary window coverings that won't mark the woodwork etc. I've seen them somewhere and I'm pretty sure it was Bunnings.

I'm looking at this as well as I'm not sure what I want and possibly may have nothing in some areas. I want to live in the house and get a feel for it before I make a decision but would like something temporary for the bedrooms in the meantime.

Jo
i just typed temporary curtains into google and came up with the following suggestions.
PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT ENDORSING ANY OF THESE SUGGESTIONS

1. use bubble wrap
http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver ... 295221.php
2. instant curtains.
they seem to have a sticky backing to them

http://www.**.com.au/ ... ional/2647

http://www.instantcurtains.com/

3. use some sort of hook

http://www.spotlight.com.au/Discussion_ ... did=162600

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 410AACxLP9

4. In the last link it also mentioned using those spring loaded retractable type rods. They don't work for heavier material but for lighter net curtaining they are ok. We used 2 of these as a "temp" towel rail in our ensuite window in our last house. The towels tended to pull the rail down after a while. Hence my comment about heavier weights.
Thanks for the input everyone we will try those options.

As for PD bashing. If you knew all the issues we and many many many many other clients have had and are still having with PD you would not be singing their praises so loudly mikkyG. Yes you must be the lucky ones. When you get no return phone calls after a fortnight to 3 weeks about important issues. When they try to charge back delays that have been completely incorrectly calculated. When the answer is always tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow or thats happening next week. When you are accused of lieing. When they don't get a septic tank permit when applying for the building one and keep asking what we are planning to do about a septic and they are supposed to be doing the septic all along. When the admin person shreds your proof of funds and you have to do it all over again.

When they tap into the neighbours stormwater instead of running new indepandant pipes.

Do I need to say more. Anyone building with PD who is having a good experience. I am very happy for you. But as I have said we know some very dishonest nasty things they have done to others and ALL of the things above have happened to us. I can't alborate on the others peoples as they all in front of laywers and courts.
Well I hope you sort out you problems with them.
calico from lincraft - 3$ a meter - you can order online and pick up at the store...
I moved in April and have had sheets on my windows ever since.Drawing pins are keeping them up... saves alot of damage to the walls :wink cant afford window coverings at the moment
Check out perry's blog - they've just had hand over, and have put up Redi -shade , I think it was - looks really good, esp for a 'temp' solution - and I think they're relatively cheap!

I don't think any of the volume builders do window furnishings (I could be wrong!)

And, yes, mikkyG, think yourself lucky with PD - no one ever calls us, we have to call them, we've had 2 CSRs, and 4 SSs, and were supposed to be at lock up on June 12 - and that was after they delayed us by 2 months.....and we're STILL waiting to be at lock up. One of the reasons was the numerous mistakes made on our house , that they are still working on fixing......very disappointing form a company that supposedly prides itself on it's excellence in customer service and who labels the division we're building with "Prestige"......
Forgot to mention in my last post .a neighbor who built her house through PD had her window coverings made by the company that does Porter Davis window coverings in their displays. She was happy with the final product and she also got a discount.
Im going to ring PD and get the companies contact details. if anyone is interested i will pass on the companies contact details through pm.
found the web site for redishade
http://www.redishade.com/ seems bunnings sometimes sell them as well.

6-12 dollars? i saw mentioned somewhere else

Australia Contact Information:

* Redi Shade Australia
6 / 605 Kingsford Smith Drive
Hamilton, Brisbane
Queensland 4007
Phone: 07 3630 2377
Fax: 07 3630 1313
E-mail: info@redishade.com.au
We have some of those readishade ones for our bedroom, not put them up yet but will let you know on Tuesday (or whenever we get back online!!) how good they are
got them from Bunnings and they were $7 each.
As Petal said, our last blog entry has some info on the redi-shade temp blinds, and a few photos.

Cheers
they look terrific perryr. I'm going to look into whether they are available here.
Hi perry The blinds do look great. Do they block the light out at all? Or are they more just for privacy?? And also how do they attach to the window and are they safe. They wont take the paint off when removed will they???

Your whole house looks great. Enjoy !!!!!!

bubaloo
Hi perry The blinds do look great. Do they block the light out at all? Or are they more just for privacy?? And also how do they attach to the window and are they safe. They wont take the paint off when removed will they???

Your whole house looks great. Enjoy !!!!!!

The blinds are really for privacy - they are made of thick paper, so they block some of the light. They are stuck to the inside of the top window frame, and the paint won't peel when they come off - they might leave some gum which can be removed with some cooking oil (as they say) or eucalyptus oil (which is the mutts nuts at removing tar and gum).

Cheers
b
Related
12/03/2024
Window coverings

Window Furnishings

Hi there I'm looking for a independent company for a expert report on my blinds ,sheers & plantation shutters I'm in Melbourne

15/06/2023
Duplexes with Temporary Underground Services

Building A New House

Hi JW I just read your post and I find this situation quite strange. When we build, we get a temp pole for construction which becomes the permanent pole for one of the…

30/09/2023
Temporary bracing for partition wall

General Discussion

Hi all, Not sure if this is a good place for this question but I guess we'll find out! I'm a novice, building a modular room inside my garage/shed and need to create…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum