Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Double glazing windows in a completed new house

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Just after some advice regarding double glazing windows.

Our builder has just completed our house and we're thinking of double glazing the existing windows. What will be the complications and is it an easy fix?

We have aluminium frames for the windows, bricks to the whole ground floor and foam cladding to the first floor. Do we need to rip out all the windows including frames or is there other ways to go about doing it without affecting the integrity of the frames and dimensions of our current windows?

Any advice would be helpful,

Thanks,
Pearz
Hi Pearz,

It depends on your system, but typically an Aluminium window is very difficult to retrofit the double glazed unit into unless it was designed to take it. The other potential issue is that even if it is possible to retrofit the glass, the hardware specified may not be suitable to cater for the additional weight of another pane of glass.

Do you know who supplied the windows? The best suggestion is to contact the company directly and ask if it is possible, and if so what is involved.

Thanks,
Kurt Miglas
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your reply, the supplier is A&L Windows, we were also afraid it might not be able to take the weight of the DG windows.

I'll ask the supplier and see what they say.

Pearz
Most of the time aluminium frames are either built for one or the other, and are often not able to take both DG and SG. with single glazed residential suite frames you'll struggle to fit even the smallest DGU in them.

You could however replace it with Energy Tech or Comfort Plus, which are more energy efficient single glazed breeds - but these windows were most likely factory glazed, which means they'd need to be pulled apart to be reglazed
Ring A&L they will have all your window sizes on file and be able to give you options.

Crazyk
Ring A&L they will have all your window sizes on file and be able to give you options.

As these are A&L, it may be possible if they are awning windows, but it is not possible on sliding windows. Referring to A&L only...

Our windows are fully upgrade able if they happen to be single glazed.
Ed
Renewing windows in an existing home is not that complicated and can be undertaken by any competent trades person.
Berstan Homes
Renewing windows in an existing home is not that complicated and can be undertaken by any competent trades person.

It is straightforward, but there is a large number of leaking windows out there that have been installed by tradesmen...

Ed
Quick update, we caved in and had our fixed windows replaced with double glazing. Took 2 guys a couple hours to get old glass out and new ones in. Looks ok so far no leaks but probably wouldn't know as the windows is on the alfresco side.
Do the fill in between the panes with the inert has?

PEARZ, sorry for 'hijacking' your topic..
im in the process of finalizing my PWC and double glazing quote came back quite expensive ($5k) for the whole house (24sf).. just wondering will it be cheaper if i do it on my own after handover..from the doc, it mentioned it will be using 'Bradnam 52mm slim line' windows and doors..
Ok I have to ask, why didn't you put them in while the house was being built?
Cheers Lorri
annielee
PEARZ, sorry for 'hijacking' your topic..
im in the process of finalizing my PWC and double glazing quote came back quite expensive ($5k) for the whole house (24sf).. just wondering will it be cheaper if i do it on my own after handover..from the doc, it mentioned it will be using 'Bradnam 52mm slim line' windows and doors..

You won't be able to do it, the window will need different glazing beads. Get a quote from Bradnams to see if they can retrofit later... maybe, maybe not.

Ed
Related
16/01/2024
Now It's 0.3mm Gap For Double Glazing. It beats all the rest

Windows & Doors

This is one of the reasons I decided to go overseas for my double glazed windows. As the builder indicated, he's worked on many upmarket builds, these were the most well…

1/04/2024
Unsigned variations after a new home is completed

Building A New House

Any advice on a builder in NSW who is demanding an extra 22000k after the house is completed and contract paid in full .Standard HIA contract. Never received a variation.…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum