Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Window Heights

Page 1 of 1
Doing lots of reading tonight on eaves and windows.

Feel on top of the eaves depth and that 30% of the height to the underside of the eaves if permanently shaded and so is better not glazed.

So am I right in thinking with eaves in Adelaide a north facing sliding door should be 1680mm high
( ie wall 2400 high - minus 30% is 1680)???

So we are thinking to go 2100 high (the lowest we would go with no banging heads) on a 2400 high wall.

But the confusion is normal room windows is there an appropriate distance off the floor for the lower sill and is there a tipping point for the effectiveness of the glazing. We don't want sliding doors in bedrooms.

Clear as mud?????? What is the ideal dimensions ie height of a north facing window in a 2400 high wall with 900 eaves or 600 eaves - ie sill height and total height.
Some thoughts about North facing windows cill height.

No need for glass below the point that the window is shaded by a fence or neighbour (see http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2012/01/winter-sun/ to check)

Do you want any furniture on that side of room? In that case cill height to be at height of furniture.

I actually don't mind patio doors in the bed room as it meant that I could still see the garden when I was in bed.

Copy this to scale then slide out your eaves or raise/ lower your window sill/head to suit.

Stewie
Thank you both much appreciated.
Related
26/10/2023
Queensland ceiling heights - help!

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

We bought a house in 2015 advertised as a 7/2/2, 4br up, 3br down (7br), and to date, it’s a great house. However, we’ve just had it valued and it’s come in as a…

15/01/2024
Is this a defect in my window frame?

Windows & Doors

Its the flashing and is normal. Some builders cover them up others just leave them handing. You can cover it up with an aluminium bracket or ask the builder.

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum