Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

window sizes and window coverings

Page 1 of 1
Hi there

We have received a quote for double glaze windows. Our front faces north and 2 bedrooms face east and 1 facing west and all will be double glazed.

Is it recommended to double glaze all the windows in the following areas as it is a significant cost? I was thinking just single glaze - sliding windows and leave the sliding door as standard as we might have a 5m x 5m verandah build outside the living area in the long run.

Sliding door in the living area around 24m2 –with a 2100w x 2400h sliding door – South

Laundry 2m x 3m with 600w x 600h size window – South

The wet areas face West with a 1m gap between wall and good neighbour fence.

Ensuite (standard size – sorry no measurements) with a 900w by 600h window

Toilet (standard size – sorry no measurements) with 600w by 600h window

Bath + shower (standard size – sorry no measurements) – with a 900w by 600h window

I might add that I have already reduced the window sizes as compared to the builder's standard size.

Cheers
boosta
Hi Boosta,

It depends on what you are trying to achieve with the double glazing, whether you live in a cool or warm climate. Are you trying to keep the heat in or out? Do you use more energy each year by heating or cooling?

Sallie
Hi Sallie

I'm trying to keep the house cool as I am in south australia.

I will be getting pelmets and curtains made for the bed rooms.

Cheers
boosta
Hi Boosta,

You probably need to look at double glazing the East and West windows with a Low Emissivity (Low-E) Glass, which will not allow as much heat to pass through the windows into the house.

If the living area can't be closed off from the rest of the house I'd recommend double glazing it (just with standard clear glass as it won't receive much direct sunlight).

I'd also recommend having the ensuite double glazed with low e glass as it will let heat into your bedroom.

The bathroom, laundry and toilet can be closed off from the rest of the house so you can probably get away with single glazing on those. Our laundry faces west and we never double glazed it because we can just close the door and put one of those snakes down to stop the heat coming through into the house.

Hope this helps

Sallie
Hi Boosta,

My first post on this site! High performance glass is one of those areas where most people building their second+ home always take time to get right (after they've lived with poor glazing and cooked/frozen in their first home
). I'm here to offer advice, so not naming any products unless asked. If you are trying to keep summer heat out, I'd suggest having Low-E glass in your double glazing. Low-E reflects infrared (heat) and will also help keep heat in during winter. So it helps save on heating & cooling bills all year round.

West facing bedroom window should have a tint in in the outer pane of glass to help capture afternoon sunload, which the Low-E coating will also reflect a significant proportion back outside.

North facing glass, if it is protected by eaves or shading in summer - should always be clear (no tint) to get any winter passive solar heating benefits. BTW a clear Low-E glass WILL still allow passive solar heat gain in winter. (its technical but can explain if people want more detail)

South facing sliding door - Thats a nice large glass door! Real outdoors-indoors effect. If it's your main living area, again you will be glad you invested in the right glass to help keep that room comfortable in summer or winter. That much glass will be a path for heat gain/loss, so a clear Low-E is fine here as no sun load issues on South side.

Wet areas - Laundry and Toilet - save money and do what you like. Bathroom - personally I hate a freezing bathroom in winter, so I'd certainly put Low-E but that's just me.

You mentioned pelmets and curtains - both fine for privacy, aesthetics and some sun load benefits, but the best solution is to minimise the heat getting through the glass in the first place.

About downsizing windows - Did you confirm they would be cheaper? Sometimes moving away from the standard sized offerings can increase the cost as it becomes 'custom' sizes. Up to you of course and if it does save money - great. But I doubt you'll see anyone looking to buy/sell a home saying "wish this house had less natural light and windows"

Hope it goes well.
Hi again

Thanks for the feedback, I will do some research on low e-glass. I have added the draft house plan. The western side has a 1m gap between wall and neighbour's fence while the eastern side is around 2.9m between wall and neighbours.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy28/boosta88c/windows/homeonewindows_zpsc5eb0904.jpg

Cheers
boosta
Ok. On the West side, the fence line is close. Is the fence or house on the West side high enough to block out late afternoon sun? Also, the west facing family room window should probably also have some tint (even a light 'neutral' grey) will make a noticeable improvement in summer.
Viridian Glass
Ok. On the West side, the fence line is close. Is the fence or house on the West side high enough to block out late afternoon sun? Also, the west facing family room window should probably also have some tint (even a light 'neutral' grey) will make a noticeable improvement in summer.

The fence line on the west is only 1.8m high and same with the eastern side. The neighbours house will be the same with 3m ceiling (sorry don't know the ext height).

Noted for the tint on the west facing family room.

Cheers
boosta
Hi again

I have decided to go double glazing with all windows. We have decided to modify the window sizes:

1) North - Home theatre (under eyelid verandah) – current windows are 2 x Awning 1806 x 2 though wife thinks we should have a single awning window instead. I was thinking of either a single 1506 or 2 x 1506.

2) North - Bedroom 1 - current windows are 2 x Awning 1806 x - to switch to 2 x 1506.

3) West - Bedroom 2 (with BIR) – was thinking 1212 or 1215 (1200mm high, 1500mm wide), leaning towards 1212. No highlights.

4) East – Bedroom 3 & 4 (with BIR) - was thinking 1212 or 1215 (1200mm high, 1500mm wide), leaning towards 1212. No highlights.

5) West - Living highlight windows is 0921 – switching to 0621 – what sort of window covering will be ideal for this? I was thinking of double roller blinds.

As mentioned before, westertn side is 1m gap between wall and neighbour's fence while the eastern side is around 2.9m between wall and neighbours.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
boosta
Bump!

Can anyone please advise mainly for the front windows? North facing? Will 1506 be to small to maximise the winter sun?
boosta
Bump!

Can anyone please advise mainly for the front windows? North facing? Will 1506 be to small to maximise the winter sun?

I'm no expert, but I can't imagine that reducing your north facing windows by 300mm would reduce your winter solar gain too drastically.
Is it winter light or heat you are after?
Winter light less the heat in summer. I think it is also the look that Iam trying to achieve for a cottage type llook.
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/clemlow/image2_zpsb495a58a.jpg

This is a photo of the display home which is the same look that I am going for except no stone veneer.

From paver / concrete up is 3 brick high - I was thinking 1506 (1500mm high by 600mm wide) to get more bricks - thought it might look better as a lot of old houses I have seen have smaller windows.
Viridian Glass
Hi Boosta,

My first post on this site! High performance glass is one of those areas where most people building their second+ home always take time to get right (after they've lived with poor glazing and cooked/frozen in their first home
). I'm here to offer advice, so not naming any products unless asked. If you are trying to keep summer heat out, I'd suggest having Low-E glass in your double glazing. Low-E reflects infrared (heat) and will also help keep heat in during winter. So it helps save on heating & cooling bills all year round.

West facing bedroom window should have a tint in in the outer pane of glass to help capture afternoon sunload, which the Low-E coating will also reflect a significant proportion back outside.

North facing glass, if it is protected by eaves or shading in summer - should always be clear (no tint) to get any winter passive solar heating benefits. BTW a clear Low-E glass WILL still allow passive solar heat gain in winter. (its technical but can explain if people want more detail)

South facing sliding door - Thats a nice large glass door! Real outdoors-indoors effect. If it's your main living area, again you will be glad you invested in the right glass to help keep that room comfortable in summer or winter. That much glass will be a path for heat gain/loss, so a clear Low-E is fine here as no sun load issues on South side.

Wet areas - Laundry and Toilet - save money and do what you like. Bathroom - personally I hate a freezing bathroom in winter, so I'd certainly put Low-E but that's just me.

You mentioned pelmets and curtains - both fine for privacy, aesthetics and some sun load benefits, but the best solution is to minimise the heat getting through the glass in the first place.

About downsizing windows - Did you confirm they would be cheaper? Sometimes moving away from the standard sized offerings can increase the cost as it becomes 'custom' sizes. Up to you of course and if it does save money - great. But I doubt you'll see anyone looking to buy/sell a home saying "wish this house had less natural light and windows"

Hope it goes well.

Just saw this now but really wanted to thank you for the great information as I'm going through something similar! I just need to get pricing for the options so I can work out what we want/can afford
Related
12/03/2024
Window coverings

Window Furnishings

Hi there I'm looking for a independent company for a expert report on my blinds ,sheers & plantation shutters I'm in Melbourne

31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

4/05/2024
Mixed drawer sizes next to each other

Building A New House

put the 2 draw set directly under the cooktop and the 3 draw set either side for balance

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum