Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Marks in new windows

Page 1 of 1
I am replacing all my windows with PVC double glazed laminated windows. A very expensive exercise and I am really disappointed with the glazier. We have had 15 windows installed so far with the rest going in after an extension to the front of the house. 3 windows have marks which are on the inside of the glass - a factory defect - and I am being told that they do not replace or take any liability for this and that they will not guarantee that the rest of or any other windows will not be marked also, I have two marks in one large window and have been informed that 10 or more is possible. I was never told about this before and have never heard of it, is this a common issue with laminating which is what I am being told? How is this industry allowed to get away with selling factory faulty products without warranty! I certainly didn't expect to have marked glass issues at the price paid and from the company that is known as the best in the business.
Mary
You may need to call consumer affairs, good luck
Considering every car windshield is laminated glass (two sheets of glass with a laminate in between) and their are thousands of them and all Crystal clear I find it very hard to believe it's normal!

Have you tried talking to the manufacturer? It might help if you tell the installer you spoke to them if they say it's not normal and should be fixed etc!

Mary1
I am replacing all my windows with PVC double glazed laminated windows. A very expensive exercise and I am really disappointed with the glazier. We have had 15 windows installed so far with the rest going in after an extension to the front of the house. 3 windows have marks which are on the inside of the glass - a factory defect - and I am being told that they do not replace or take any liability for this and that they will not guarantee that the rest of or any other windows will not be marked also, I have two marks in one large window and have been informed that 10 or more is possible. I was never told about this before and have never heard of it, is this a common issue with laminating which is what I am being told? How is this industry allowed to get away with selling factory faulty products without warranty! I certainly didn't expect to have marked glass issues at the price paid and from the company that is known as the best in the business.
Mary

I doubt it is marked inside the laminate, more likely inside the double glazed units... there are guidelines for defects...
Here's a summary from the HIA which includes the standard.

If I were you I would complain all the way, if I were me and you complained I would fix it.

Ed
Thank you for your feedback, I have had the glazing company out to see the marks and they are claiming it's just something that happens in the factiry and will not replace them. The installer has been to see them and was told the same. He tried another glazier and they won't guarantee that their windows won't have marks either. There really should be more warnings about flaws in such an expensive product before you buy. I am really worried about just how bad the rest of the windows are going to be and whether I should be searching for another glazier but this company is supposed to be the best.
Related
27/05/2024
Brand new house with beyond horrible windows

Windows & Doors

Pay again? No retribution? Your glass has a specific performance get this app and see how much your windows are leaking, then challenge the supplier.

30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum