Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Glue residue on window frames?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I have recently taken handover of a new house in Perth which has Jason Windows installed. The frames are powder coated in a silver colour.

Unfortunately some of them have a significant amount of yellow-ish glue residue from the black protective tape that they come wrapped in during construction.

I have tried to remove the residue using Desolv-it, WD-40, surface cleaner, and white spirits without any luck.

Can anyone help out with any proven remedies?

Thanks in advance.
Try smooth peanut butter first (search for my previous posts on this).

If it doesn't work or takes too long, try "Un-do" (you can find it in BGS).
If neither of those work just revert to good old eucalyptus oil.
A point to note is don't use anything on powdercoated surfaces that is not recommended for it... powdercoat can be damaged by organic solvents. I would ask your builder or Jason windows to remove it...

That said, we use a citrus cleaner.

Ed
Thank you all for your helpful replies!

In the end I tried Desolv-it and eucalyptus spray because it is what I had on hand.

I found that the eucalyptus spray worked well on the stubborn dried on glue, whilst Desolv-it was better on the fresher glue.

Thanks again.
Related
15/01/2024
Cobblestone Driveway - White Residue

Landscape & Garden Design

Probably efflorescence Salts coming out of sand, cement products and mortar Water brings them to surface and when evaporates it stays Extremely difficult to get rid of

26/02/2024
Timber to concrete glue or screws?

General Discussion

Sam There is a much stronger glue than liquid nails. It's called T Rex and will stick your timber to the concrete. Cheers Simeon

29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum