Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Sliding Door for Master Bed Room

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am struggling for choosing my master bed room window/door finish. I don't know how to upload the image but just try to link one that is similar with my Master bed room. The backyard have 3.5 meter deep from master room. The master room face north from the following plan. I have some options in my mind but don't know which is better.

(1) Keep the same as the image below which is sliding door (25*10).
(2) Replace the sliding door by the same size window (25*10).
(3) Replace the sliding door by the small size window (16*10).
(4) Keep the sliding door and add two small windows in both side of bed.
(5) Keep the sliding door and add the highlighting window on top of the bed.

I will appreciate that anyone advises for me!

Hi, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking however we have a similar situation off our rear master bedroom and have chosen the sliding door out to the patio. We love it as it lets lots of light in, great ventilation and it's easy to let the dog out in the morning. Don't know if that helps:)
Thanks robinred55, I have update the questions and now it could be more clear.
Hi Murphy,
In our plan we kept a sliding door out to the patio but we were concerned that it might make the room dark. To counter this we put a high window over the bed. We needn't have worried but we have lots of light. The sliding door is a nice feature which makes the master BR more special. BTW, I really like your plan.
Hi Robinred55, the only thing I concern about it's security and ventilation. When I sleep at night I nornally open a bit of window for ventilation, but now only a slinding door here to open it may fell now safty. So I am trying to think about to have the window? I think the slinding in the day time is fine but night time I may want to close it. Also I want to keep this door for the feature. What do you think for this issue?
What about if you open the window in the ensuite - that will provide some air ... and you will be secure.
Hi Mclaren, do you mean I only choose the window instead of the door? Or add addtional window in the right hand side?
I was looking at the plan you put up - if you had the window open in the ensuite would that give you enough air in the bedroom .... I'd keep the sliding door as that will be a real feature ....
Here's my 2c bit.

I'd keep the sliding door as as that would be a feature to the master bedroom.
Dont think having windows on the side of the beds would haelp, as that part of the house is(as i call the S**t side of the house).
A window on the alfresco side would be privacy concern for me.

Is a skylight with an angle facing the bed an option?
murphywei
Hi Robinred55, the only thing I concern about it's security and ventilation. When I sleep at night I nornally open a bit of window for ventilation, but now only a slinding door here to open it may fell now safty. ...

It's not standard, but I think you could fit a sash bolt to the opening door panel so you can lock it in a restricted open position to give you safe ventilation.

Ed
ed @ ecoclassic
It's not standard, but I think you could fit a sash bolt to the opening door panel so you can lock it in a restricted open position to give you safe ventilation.

Ed

Nice idea Ed, I was going to suggest laying a broomstick along the tracks, but your's is much more elegant

I like the idea of having doors that you can open, what you can also do is change it to french doors that have awning windows installed. Then you have the best of both worlds. A friend did this for a townhouse we were renting out, it was perfect because the french doors were at the front of the house. He did it himself because he was quite handy with wood. It shouldnt be too hard to find someone who can do this.
alt0160
ed @ ecoclassic

Ed

Nice idea Ed, I was going to suggest laying a broomstick along the tracks, but your's is much more elegant

I like the idea of having doors that you can open, what you can also do is change it to french doors that have awning windows installed. Then you have the best of both worlds. A friend did this for a townhouse we were renting out, it was perfect because the french doors were at the front of the house. He did it himself because he was quite handy with wood. It shouldnt be too hard to find someone who can do this.

Can you have the picture to me have a look? It may too complex to do it? Also it will change the aluminum to wood may not match other doors?
ed @ ecoclassic
murphywei
Hi Robinred55, the only thing I concern about it's security and ventilation. When I sleep at night I nornally open a bit of window for ventilation, but now only a slinding door here to open it may fell now safty. ...

Ed

Hi Ed, I don't know how easy the sash bolt can fit the sliding door as it is not stardard.
What about use "Barrier Screen" to instead of fly screen? So I can lock the outside barrier screen and then open the glass door? It's a good idea?
[quote="murphywei]Can you have the picture to me have a look? It may too complex to do it? Also it will change the aluminum to wood may not match other doors?[/quote]
Unfortunately I dont have a photo, it was 6+ years ago. There is nothing to say that you cant paint them to match the other doors. Basically it was a wooden door with two large glass pannels. My friend took the top panel out and inserted a wooden awning window.

That reminds me, I vaguely remember seeing tilt and turn french doors on a website somewhere - Ed might know about these
murphywei
ed @ ecoclassic
murphywei

Ed

Hi Ed, I don't know how easy the sash bolt can fit the sliding door as it is not stardard.
What about use "Barrier Screen" to instead of fly screen? So I can lock the outside barrier screen and then open the glass door? It's a good idea?

Sure, either will do the job.

Ed
How about the solution like the image below?

BTW: anyone know how high of this side window will be better?

They look good, your pic is of a high rise, I think windows should be higher in a standard home, with the heads of windows and doors aligned.

Ed
ed @ ecoclassic
They look good, your pic is of a high rise, I think windows should be higher in a standard home, with the heads of windows and doors aligned.

Ed

Hi Ed, thanks for your advise. This is just a picture I found. My sliding door is 25c high. And I think your advise is windows should be same high level as 25c. In the picture I think the door is full high at 28c. What about the sliding windows from 25c to 11c (14c high) and 3.5c/4c wide at two sides of bed?
Slider bolts like Ed suggested are easy for a homeowner to put in themselves after hand over. We put some in on our 2 large sliders at our last house. They could be bolted for additional security both in a closed position and also in a slightly open position. ( cat used one as his cat door/gap) We also had flywire sliders that were not security ones. So when the cat didn't need to be let out we could slide the flywire door closed and have airflow with the door bolted open and no mossies coming in. Obviously you need to make your door opening narrow enough that a person, even a child couldn't fit through. We bought our patio slider bolt things from bunninngs
Related
1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

3/12/2023
Sliding door to bathroom noisy

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks Chippy . Did also see a YouTube video before. Removed them . Thanks again for the advice.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum