Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

comfort plus glass

Page 1 of 2
We are using comfort plus glass on the north and north west side of the house.

Builder has warned us it has a faint green tinge in colour. We've looked up the Pilkington site but there doesnt seem to be a lot of info on there about it.

Has anyone used it and how effective have you found it? It certainly looks green in the pic
. Maybe it will make the garden look greener

http://www.pilkington.com.au/

pic from site:

Be aware, there are different types.
Hi DeeElle - how much extra was it to go with the ComfortPlus? We are thinking about it for our western windows but builder hasn't confirmed a price yet.
Hi Mark

Yes I noticed the difference. I am assuming by the chart that grey is the preferred colour i.e. most efficient in daylight ???

Stonecutter

I believe Comfort Plus is about $40 psq. We paid approx 3k extra for:

bifold (3.1 m wide)
2 x windows (600 mm)
slider (2.2m)
large window (4.5m)

Not sure if that helps you.[/b]
Thanks DE! We'll have a bedroom window, 1 small sliding door, 1 large sliding door and one large wide window to shade - I'll have to get some measurements from the builder.
Hi Dy,

We have Comfort Plus in Neutral, so no green tinge, doesn't let in as much daylight, but privacy not an issue for us, so will only have blinds which will be used at night.

Jo
Are you happy with it?.
Quote:
Are you happy with it?

We are still in the process of building, so to early to tell!! We actually went the comfort plus on all windows, for both heating & cooling. Gets quite hot in summer & have lots of frosts in winter.

Jo
Jo K
Quote:
Are you happy with it?

We are still in the process of building, so to early to tell!! We actually went the comfort plus on all windows, for both heating & cooling. Gets quite hot in summer & have lots of frosts in winter.

Jo

Thanks Jo

Do you know what the difference is between green and neutral??
Dy,

Our windows definetely don't have a green tinge. From the outside looks like tinted windows (darker than normal clear windows).

We got our from Stegbar in Adelaide - the have samples of each type in the showrooms if you want to check them ou
I hope you are all using double glazed with comfort plus.

Double glazed windows with clear glass is a better option than single with comfort plus - and the comfort plus in single glazed can be difficult to clean and ask the glass companies does it really work in single glazed products. It only works with zero air flow! ie double glazed.

$3000 extra wow

Dont be confused by the marketing

DQQ
DuckyQuackQuack

Double glazed windows with clear glass is a better option than single with comfort plus - and the comfort plus in single glazed can be difficult to clean and ask the glass companies does it really work in single glazed products. It only works with zero air flow! ie double glazed.

$3000 extra wow

Dont be confused by the marketing

DQQ

Double glazed windows were much more expensive than comfort plus. Would have loved double glazing but not affordable on our budget + not sure we have the extremes in weather to justify the expense.
"It only works with zero air flow!"

I'd like to see that backed up with facts & figures. !
DuckyQuackQuack

We asked for double glazed but our builder doesn't offer it.
We went with Sunergy clear for our doors (apparently double glazing is too heavy ... I'm sure they double glaze doors in Europe!), and double glazing with clear glass for the windows.

I think our extra glazing costs were about $5,000-$6,000. With Melbourne's climate it is well worth the initial outlay. Cookiemonster: Talk to your builder, most sales people in a standard project home display have one or two people PER YEAR ask about double glazing. Sometimes when the check with their head office they find that it can be done, and isn't as expensive as they think (we were quoted <$3,000 for double glazed windows on a 30 square Port3r Davis home, the sales person had originally guessed at around $10,000).

We used clear glass to maximise winter heat gain (no ducted heating, we need all the help we can get!). If you do this on a western window you really need external blinds - otherwise the double glazing just makes the summer sun even hotter!
Peter

Single glazed low -e coatings (like comfortplus and many others) reflects a portion of the radiation and another portion is absorbed and convected away (% depends on the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient of the glass) it does nothing to reduce conductive and convective heat flow the majority of the issue. That is the basic physics and neither you or I can change that. That is the proof or follow up with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and look at www.efficientwindows.org.

In summary heat flow per hour in watts thru each sq metre is a combination of radiation, convection and conduction. Reducing one solves part of the issue.

You can improve the performance by changing frame material, glass, air space between units, type of gas that fills the separtaion etc....

Double glazed units are the best way to go if you wish to reduce your CO2 emissions and improve the comfort level of your home. This is especially so in climates like Melbourn, Canberra, Tasmania.

Lyn

Depending on the orientation of your home - Double Glazed Low E with a high SHGC on the northern side while on the Western side Double Glazed Low E with a low SHGC. Double Glazed doors are standard in Victoria - and can be site glazed.

I sell both single and double glazed products and prefer to sell single glazed due to the manual handling issues. I am not trying to sell anything here only trying to help educate people and i never ever promote my business - If you want the best performing windows and doors you have no choice but to go Double Glazed in certain climates.

Over and out!
Quote:
Double glazed units are the best way to go if you wish to reduce your CO2 emissions and improve the comfort level of your home. This is especially so in climates like Melbourn, Canberra, Tasmania.

DQQ - what are your recommendations for Sydney then? We are going ComfortPlus all over the house but single glazed for bushfire requirements (toughened glass needed)

We are in western Sydney where summers are very hot & humid (no sea breezes!) and winters have chilly nights but days are mild.
Jo K
Hi Dy,

We have Comfort Plus in Neutral, so no green tinge, doesn't let in as much daylight, but privacy not an issue for us, so will only have blinds which will be used at night.

Jo

Hello
I just notice you had built in 1997.
We just had our glazing installed and they delivered comfort plus neutral. Like you
Are you happy with the 'colour'
I have a friend in the industry and I asked about glass with a green tinge.
I am told that the higher quality glass tends to have a green tinge. Not sure how true this is but I have no reason to not believe that.
Thoughts on that?
All glass is green, starphire is the only "clear" glass.
Related
6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

16/04/2024
Hardie Linea Vs BGC Nuline Plus

Building A New House

We are building a house that was planned to be clad in Hardie Linea, our builder has now requested to swap this for BGC Nuline Plus. They look fairly similar and he has…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum