What are they?
kyton
What are they?

auto closers for doors.

the cheap ones have an arm.

the expensive ones have a chain.
Not very popular I take it
We've had one since we built, 18 years ago... Still works perfectly
These look cool, I've got a couple of questions.

Are they noisy at all? Does the chain rub against the metal?
How softly does it close the door?
Can it work on a bi-directional swing door? To bring it back to centre?

Thanks
Perfectly silent... No rubbing noises at all

It doesn't close the door all that softly though, pulls it in pretty quick. Not so the door slams shut. "swiftly"

I have no idea if it will work on a bi-directional swing door though.
I can't work out what they are!
Yes, it will work with a door that swings both way.
Chippy, what do you think of them? Useful or not so much? Would you recommend them?
Where are you going to install them?
To be honest, I don't like them. I don't see the need for a door closer on an internal door in a domestic setting. If I open a door I'd like it to stay open until I choose to close it. They are typically installed on ensuites and toilets.
The amount of them I've seen disconnected or with a wedge or similar holding doors open would indicate to me that I'm not the only one to find them a nuisance.
I don't know why anyone would want to install one on either the front door or internal doors of a house. It makes sense to have them on a pool gate (keep kids out) and on the front doors in blocks of units (to try to isolate areas in case of fire) and also in a commercial setting (save on airconditioning costs).

My elderly MIL lives in a block of units and has one on her front door - her door is so heavy I'm amazed she has the strength to open it. I know if I had one on my front door I would be forever getting myself locked out of the house.
fitted them years ago in the uk where there known as perko,s.a rubbish cheap closer which has no speed adjustment though the chain can be wound tighter to increase the closing speed.
horrible hatred things.
Darrel, I hear you brother.
We just installed a mesh 'security' front door and opted not to have a door closer (although we didn't get credit for it). I still can't see the need for the closer. I prefer to have the doors open as long as I want them and not having them closing at their own will. However, for some reason they work just like there is a closer on them
- they keep closing by themselves
. Lucky they don't smash!! So, I got the same effect regardless

Oh, ours would have been the visible one.
Related
26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum