Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Do these windows look right to you?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We've just about finished adding on a bedroom/ensuite to our home but we're unhappy with the way the windows look on the outside. The carpenter says "it's normal, and to put a timber architrave around it" but it just doesn't seem right to us.

Does anyone know?

That how they were done on our place, I will take some photo tomorrow in the light to show them finished.

Cheers Lou
Thank you, I would really appreciate that. I just spoke to my uncle (interstate) who is a carpenter and he said it's too late to fix them but could use a timber arcitrave. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
I am always amazed with the crap some so called "tradespeople" get away with and get even paid for
The carpenter is back tomorrow for final touch ups, should I say something?
I would

Unless it is normal in Australia which I doubt.
I'd be interested to see Lou's photos first. I'm sure the timber architrave will make windows look finished
Where does the flashing and vapour barrier go?
There are 2 ways of finishing aluminium windows in blue board. This one, where the window protrudes a little, and you have a timber frame around the window (one would hope). And the other is flush. Very expensive to alter now.

Ed
Thanks Ed.

Yes, it's just annoying that the window company didn't ask me how it would be finished. All they asked for were measurements and colour.
multitaskingmummy
Thanks Ed.

Yes, it's just annoying that the window company didn't ask me how it would be finished. All they asked for were measurements and colour.

Very annoying. They should ask, maybe your builder told them the reveal sizes.

Ed
No, I was just given the measurements for two windows and a sliding door. I rang the window company, gave the order, no questions asked and then they delivered them 3 weeks later.
they do look fine depending on the finish you are after.
personally i would have altered the reveal size so they don't protrude like they do, and assuming you are after an acrylic rendered finish they can be seal and rendered up to.
seems as though it is just a lack of communication between you and the builder, he definitely should have asked how you would like them finished.
Sorry for not posting yesturday, had to wait until it stopped raining at the same time I was home. The first two show the windows on rendered blue board, I just painted the surrounds the same colour(woodland grey) as the window. The other is on cladding they used a larger timber for the surrounds as the louver are wider.

Cheers Lou
Multitaskingmummy, would I be right in assuming you are in Perth? Perth window manufacturers aren't used to supplying for framed houses so don't supply with reveals attached. It is up to the carpenter to put his own on.
That window is fine. You can use timber architrave or use Hardies Scyon Axent trim. It comes in 86x19 and should be a little more durable than timber. Use the Hardies polyurethane sealant (or similar high quality polyurethane) to seal underneath the trim and you will have no issues with water. I assume that the chippy who did your work installed appropriate flashings and moisture barrier.
Once it is all painted it will look fine. I know because I have done them like this myself before.
Thanks Lou. I appreciate you showing me the photos.
tomthechippy - thanks for your thoughts too.

The carpenter is going to install timber architraves around each window and the sliding door tomorrow for me.

chippy - thank you as well! I'm not sure about the flashings and moisture barrier.....
Related
18/01/2024
Would you consider these issues as defects

General Discussion

Hi It came to my attention after the handover that - The facade cladding on the face and the side are not straight. -The face tapers down by 50mm from left to right and…

17/06/2023
Right sand to use?

Paving & Concreting

I'm putting a new floor in my kitchen, slate flagging on a standard concrete slab. I have allowed for a bed thickness of up to 20mm to accommodate the different…

27/02/2024
Does this quote seem right? Turf + landscaping

Landscape & Garden Design

They using concrete or timber sleepers? Timber or steel uprights? Any drainage behind sleeper?

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum