Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Best noise reducing windows and doors on the market

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have a peculiar problem. Bedroom which faces busy street.

Of the surface if the building which faces the street half of the wall is taken up with a BIR, with the other half probably 80 - 90% a window (single glazed, I'm guessing 3 or 4mm glass). Between the window and the BIR (i.e. running perpendicular to the street, BIR, and window, and joining the windowed wall to the BIR wall is a wood door with teh same glass in it. Door is very gappy too and I believe hollow.

I'd like to replace the window and door with something soundproof.

I've looked at Stopnoise, but feel its really less that an ideal solution, so am now looking at quality double glazed system.

- The best products I've been able to find are Certainteed (can do STC 41 glass) and Ecotech (wont give out a STC, but can do wood colours which would be great).
Has anybody had experience with either? Would the Ecotech 8.38mm laminated glass / 6mm gap / 5mm glass product match the Certaineed for STC 41 sound rating?

- Should I be looking at other products? I dont have a handy man background so if you can advise better alternatives it would be most welcome!

- Should I bother with the StopNoise people? Their website also claims STC40 for 100mm airgap but on other forums (i.e. Somersoft) users seem disappointed.
Has anybody had experiences with them either positive or negative?

Thank you!
Hi Trogdor,
Welcome to Homeone.

Ed@ecoclassic is the best person to answer this question I think. I am sure he'll get to it. I think he's a busy man! Maybe someone else might some ideas for you... stay tuned.
To obtain an STC rating, each window must be tested with that configuration of glass. The testing is an expenive process.

EcoClassic's windows have been tested to achieve STC 34.5 with standard glazing. We have not tested with the Certainteed configuration. If this is what you need, I suggest you use their window, it certainly performs well.

I would expect secondary glazing (2 windows) to perform better than STC 40.

Thanks
Ed
Thanks Ed. Appreciate the speedy reply and thank you for your time.

So hopw much quieter would the Ecotech 8.38mm laminated glass / 6mm gap / 5mm glass product be over the standard double glazed (which you mention were tested at 34.5)? Do you notice a difference sound wise between these two products in the real world - and if so how much?

If you think I can get > STC 40 with Stopnoise or similar I'd be tempted to get that for the windows (although a I've read on forums their product doesnt work very well) due to cost savings and a Ecotech or Certainteed high STC french door (probably Echotech as they can match the faux wood finsh on the PVC). Though to be honest the $$ isnt the main driver, its the best sound reducing result!! Though it would be silly to pay more $$ for less noise reduction.
Trogdor
Thanks Ed. Appreciate the speedy reply and thank you for your time.

So hopw much quieter would the Ecotech 8.38mm laminated glass / 6mm gap / 5mm glass product be over the standard double glazed (which you mention were tested at 34.5)? Do you notice a difference sound wise between these two products in the real world - and if so how much?

If you think I can get > STC 40 with Stopnoise or similar I'd be tempted to get that for the windows (although a I've read on forums their product doesnt work very well) due to cost savings and a Ecotech or Certainteed high STC french door (probably Echotech as they can match the faux wood finsh on the PVC). Though to be honest the $$ isnt the main driver, its the best sound reducing result!! Though it would be silly to pay more $$ for less noise reduction.

It all depends on your total construction, and how much air leakage you have. They say you need 10dB change before it is noticeable... each 3dB is a doubling (or halving) of sound level. Secondary glazing would be infinitely better than any one double glazed window. That is 2 windows. Stopnoise is similar, but a double glazed window inside a single glazed window would be hard to beat @ around STC 46+.

Ed
Thank you Ed.

Would it be possible to fit a Ecotech double glazed PVC wood finished window (certainteed dont do wood finished any my townhouse has a wooden window and door theme) inside my existing window - and if so how would I go about it?
Air leakage has a significant contribution to sound transmission. Maximum air infiltration is 5.0L/s.m2 at a positive pressure difference of 75 Pa as measured according to AS 2047.

You can view air infiltration data on the website below;

http://www.wers.net/residential/certified-products
I agree with Ed, I have seen houses next to busy road installing another second windows outside for each and every window, it's indeed pretty quiet inside. Problem is, although it blocks away the noise and dust, you lost the air circulation as well.
do most of these windows/doors also provide protection from attacks by way of burninating?

welcome to the forums trogdor!

oh, this is in relation to the name trogdor for those going wtf
billdsl
oh, this is in relation to the name trogdor for those going wtf

I'm still going WTF!!
you asked for it

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

dont get hooked now! its a weekly cartoon type thing
sorry had to watch another one of my all time favourite strong bads

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html

japanese cartoon, gotta have blue hair!
Related
2/03/2024
Flashing above doors and windows

General Discussion

Flashings over doorways and windows our carpenter has installed flashings that is buckled and short of the window frames and door frames is this right Is there a…

23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

29/02/2024
Home Noise Reduction/Soundproofing

Renovation + Home Improvement

Upgrading your windows to soundproof ones, like triple-glazed, can make a significant difference. While changing window…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum