Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Windows sized vs finished size?

Page 1 of 1
Curtain Wonderland's sale finishes this weekend and I was thinking about buying my blinds early.

The size's on the plans though I guess wont be the finished product. Is there a set size difference once they put the trimmings inside the window frames or how do you calculate the actual blind sizes with just the plans?
I dont know whether its something I would worth risking? Do they have sales often? I would personally prefer to wait and know that my custom blinds are in fact custom and made to suit the window perfectly (if they're custom?)
billdsl
Curtain Wonderland's sale finishes this weekend and I was thinking about buying my blinds early.

The size's on the plans though I guess wont be the finished product. Is there a set size difference once they put the trimmings inside the window frames or how do you calculate the actual blind sizes with just the plans?

No set sizes - depends on the window supplier... so don't risk it, why not buy conditional on nominal sizes on the basis that you will measure later.

Ed
hey ed

you mean buy them but ask if i can return if they dont fit? i dont need to buy them now just thought if i could save a few bucks i may as well
billdsl
hey ed

you mean buy them but ask if i can return if they dont fit? i dont need to buy them now just thought if i could save a few bucks i may as well

I suppose you could do it that way... But I think you will need made-to-measure, so I thought just do a deal to pay for a fictitious order in nominal sizes with a view to measuring to fit when the home is finished.

Or ask when their next sale is...

Ed
ahhh i get ya, their custom mades are way too expensive.

thanks for the info, i think ill just sit on it till the trims are done and go from there
actually, am i getting confused?

the windows are sitting at the block, if i go and measure them will that be the final size, or do they put timber inside the window frame bit to make it look nice?
billdsl
actually, am i getting confused?

the windows are sitting at the block, if i go and measure them will that be the final size, or do they put timber inside the window frame bit to make it look nice?

Ahhh, sorry, I see. If the windows have reveals then this will be OK. Go ahead. Your window supplier should have the "over reveal" sizes, ask for this so you can cross check your measurements by subtracting 2 x 20mm from each dimension in the supplier's list.

Ed
When we were getting prices off the plans they all told us it was an estimate and price could vary once the windows go in. This is because the plans are not always accurate as far as windows go. The carpenter could also make a mistake with the frame like he did on our windows. I think it's best to wait until the windows are in.
if by reveals you mean the timber frame included with the window, yes it has these
billdsl
if by reveals you mean the timber frame included with the window, yes it has these

Yes, the reveals is the timber frame around the window. Measure inside these for your blinds/curtains.

Ed
Related
17/09/2023
Structural Issue - DPC Higher than finished floor level

Building A New House

interesting situation what happened after builder issued final invoice? did you list as defect or not does the building surveyor have any responsibility? ie. issuing…

13/01/2024
Poorly finished exposed recycled brick boundary wall.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi all, My neighbour has built his 15m long garage on our boundary. It was agreed as part of the planning permit that the wall must be in exposed recycled brick. For some…

15/02/2024
QLD - Builder finished without notifying Building Certifier

General Discussion

Hi, I contracted a Builder to do a Garage to Bedroom + ensuite conversion (Class 1a), the Builder engaged the Certifier and Engineer and received BDA from the Certifier…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum