Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Windows with Argon instead of air - should i say anything?!

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

We have just received our first lot of WRC windows and doors for the new house we are owner-building from our window supplier and I realised that they have been double glazed with Argon rather than air!

We never specified argon filled DGUs and the window schedule always referred to an air gap. As far as I am aware, we were also only ever quoted based on air...

We have only received about a third of the windows so far (holding off on having the rest delivered until we need them) and the standard setup appears to be 5mm clear/12mm argon/5mm clear...we will have a couple of very large windows being glazed on site, which i think are something more like 10mm clear/14mm air/10.38mm low-e (comfort plus).

Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should point this out to the suppliers and/or whether I should be concerned at all about this?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Adam
BuildingACT
Hi everyone

We have just received our first lot of WRC windows and doors for the new house we are owner-building from our window supplier and I realised that they have been double glazed with Argon rather than air!

We never specified argon filled DGUs and the window schedule always referred to an air gap. As far as I am aware, we were also only ever quoted based on air...

We have only received about a third of the windows so far (holding off on having the rest delivered until we need them) and the standard setup appears to be 5mm clear/12mm argon/5mm clear...we will have a couple of very large windows being glazed on site, which i think are something more like 10mm clear/14mm air/10.38mm low-e (comfort plus).

Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should point this out to the suppliers and/or whether I should be concerned at all about this?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Adam

Argon is slightly better than air for insulation. Over time it slowly leaches out and is replaced by air. It's a small benefit. Some DGU manufacturers do argon as standard.

No need to be concerned at all...

Ed
ed @ EcoClassic
Argon is slightly better than air for insulation. Over time it slowly leaches out and is replaced by air. It's a small benefit. Some DGU manufacturers do argon as standard.

No need to be concerned at all...

Ed

Thanks Ed! At th moment I'm concerned bout 1001 things, so glad it's one less thing to worry about! haha
Argon for the price of air. You lucky fish.
Casa2
Argon for the price of air. You lucky fish.

Do fish breath argon?!
haha

Guess I won't bring it to anyone's attention then!

Thanks again guys.
ed @ EcoClassic
BuildingACT
I realised that they have been double glazed with Argon rather than air!

Adam

We got more double glazed units that we specified
≈ Builders can't get anything right

Ed, I would fill a bit ripped off that I paid more for a rare gas that eventually got replaced by garden variety air.

Based on the graph you once posted it would seem the additional benefit is related to the gap.

viewtopic.php?p=219730#p219730
dymonite69
ed @ EcoClassic
BuildingACT
I realised that they have been double glazed with Argon rather than air!

Adam

We got more double glazed units that we specified
≈ Builders can't get anything right

Ed, I would fill a bit ripped off that I paid more for a rare gas that eventually got replaced by garden variety air.

Based on the graph you once posted it would seem the additional benefit is related to the gap.

viewtopic.php?p=219730#p219730

Yes the gap is most important... argon is a definite benefit, but it does not take the place of good window design. The EcoClassic window with air (and maybe one other brand)... achieves a higher rating (lower U value) than all other aluminium windows with argon.

Ed
ed @ EcoClassic
Yes the gap is most important... argon is a definite benefit, but it does not take the place of good window design. The EcoClassic window with air (and maybe one other brand)... achieves a higher rating (lower U value) than all other aluminium windows with argon.

Ed

Hmm...ours are all Western Red Cedar framed....with mainly 12mm gaps (argon filled it would seem!!
)

How do I find out the u-values..just out of interest?
BuildingACT
ed @ EcoClassic

Ed

Hmm...ours are all Western Red Cedar framed....with mainly 12mm gaps (argon filled it would seem!!
)

How do I find out the u-values..just out of interest?

http://www.wers.net - look in the residential tab... under your supplier's name.

But yours will be better than any aluminium... timber is as good as PVC windows when it comes to energy...

Ed
Related
4/10/2023
Sikaflex Pro instead of Window Flashing?

Renovation + Home Improvement

AFAIK, flashing is a minimum standard. Out of curiosity is your window glass stamped with AS requirements in any of the corners of each pane? Im almost certan if theyre…

6/06/2024
New home build: Heat pump HWS instead of Rainwater tank

Building A New House

That's brilliant would appreciate if you have you can locate the other doc so I can use it with my discussion with the building surveyor

22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum