Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Timber to aluminium windows

Page 1 of 1
I am looking at replacing my rotting timber windows with aluminium in my brick veneer home and doing the project myself, however the aluminium window companies steadfastly refuse to offer any installation tips to the DIYer.

Being formerly in the building industry I have a fair idea but I am not 100% sure about sizing, securing and making good the gyprock reveals.

Has anyone done this OR have a few pointers?
Uncle Arfur
I am looking at replacing my rotting timber windows with aluminium in my brick veneer home and doing the project myself, however the aluminium window companies steadfastly refuse to offer any installation tips to the DIYer.

Being formerly in the building industry I have a fair idea but I am not 100% sure about sizing, securing and making good the gyprock reveals.

Has anyone done this OR have a few pointers?

Ask away uncle...

First as you are replacing timber windows with aluminium, there are 2 brands of aluminium which will make your job easier. EcoClassic & A&L. This is because with timber windows, you already have the same brick and timber frame opening and these 2 brands fit straight into timber openings.

Ed
Thanks for your quick response.

Quote:
there are 2 brands of aluminium which will make your job easier. EcoClassic & A&L. This is because with timber windows, you already have the same brick and timber frame opening and these 2 brands fit straight into timber openings.

Yes Im aware of the same size openings. They sound like what I need but I cant find Eco Classic in SA so it looks like I will have to visit A&L.

Ive been having trouble trying to use conventional alumin.windows. Its been suggested I break off the 'fin', attach alumin. angle to the brickwork and slide them in from inside, pop riveting the frame to the angle. I assume I would have to make the window 10mm+ all around for the gyprock to slide between the frame and stud work.

IF as it appears from A&L's website they have an 'offset' reveal, that would make it heaps easier. I assume I would still need smaller angle outside to seal the frame and cover the allowance-gap?
A&L's window is not offset reveal (all the others are) it is inline reveal. And this is what suits your construction best.

You should be able to pull out the old timber window and slide an aluminium window (A&L) (making it 5mm smaller all round) straight into the same opening. Then nail the reveals into the timber frame and caulk the 5mm gap.

Ed
Quote:
A&L's window is not offset reveal (all the others are) it is inline reveal.

Yes, my apologies, I can see my terminology was wrong. I will see them tomorrow and get a quote. They have suggested on the phone 10mm smaller all around and sealed off with a siliconed 20x15 angle

What would you suggest for the reveals, as they will only be painted. Custom wood (the cheapest) painted pine or meranti both at the same price? Custom wood worries me near moisture (condensation)
Thanks
Uncle Arfur
Quote:
A&L's window is not offset reveal (all the others are) it is inline reveal.

Yes, my apologies, I can see my terminology was wrong. I will see them tomorrow and get a quote. They have suggested on the phone 10mm smaller all around and sealed off with a siliconed 20x15 angle

What would you suggest for the reveals, as they will only be painted. Custom wood (the cheapest) painted pine or meranti both at the same price? Custom wood worries me near moisture (condensation)
Thanks

They use MR (moisture resistant) quality MDF. I ran A&L for many years, it will give you no problems and it is pre-primed to make finishing easier.

Ed
Well Ed I went to A&L SA yesterday and no slight against you, but what an un-inspiring frustrating experience it was. If they never had me as a captive customer, who really needs their product, I wouldn't give this mob a second thought. I came away feeling they didn't want my business and I was a damn nuisance.

Unfortunately the woman who 'served' me knew little of the product and had to continually seek answers from someone in the office. The display sample had what seems to be an external architrave added so I was to 'imagine the window as less this bit and that bit'? No brochures ('look it up on the net') to explain what she was talking about in describing 'weather board seal'? when I enquired about the outside reveal finishing angle. And you guessed it, she went and asked! The timber reveal started at 110mm and grew to 135mm after she had again asked. Grrrr!

I phoned back with more questions after I arrived home and was told they would return my call, they didn't!

So if I am, as they suggest, to agree to the mailed quote I am to pay in full up-front by electronic transfer, without knowing if the larger window could have sliders each side, what side the other windows slide from, whether the vent locks are keyed alike etc and they will be delivered in 5 days. Talk about buying a pig in a poke!

I now have to rely on you to fill in the gaps, and then another long drive if I accept their quote to sort out this mess.

After my insisting she gave me a photo-copy of '240 Brick Veneer Wall (mine are 265) Jamb Horizontal Section' which supplied some answers. but because the outside frame appears to angle inward toward the glass there doesn't appear to be enough to attach the finishing angle? Which I would rather than look at 5mm of ugly caulk.
Uncle Arfur
Well Ed I went to A&L SA yesterday and no slight against you, but what an un-inspiring frustrating experience it was. If they never had me as a captive customer, who really needs their product, I wouldn't give this mob a second thought. I came away feeling they didn't want my business and I was a damn nuisance.

Unfortunately the woman who 'served' me knew little of the product and had to continually seek answers from someone in the office. The display sample had what seems to be an external architrave added so I was to 'imagine the window as less this bit and that bit'? No brochures ('look it up on the net') to explain what she was talking about in describing 'weather board seal'? when I enquired about the outside reveal finishing angle. And you guessed it, she went and asked! The timber reveal started at 110mm and grew to 135mm after she had again asked. Grrrr!

I phoned back with more questions after I arrived home and was told they would return my call, they didn't!

So if I am, as they suggest, to agree to the mailed quote I am to pay in full up-front by electronic transfer, without knowing if the larger window could have sliders each side, what side the other windows slide from, whether the vent locks are keyed alike etc and they will be delivered in 5 days. Talk about buying a pig in a poke!

I now have to rely on you to fill in the gaps, and then another long drive if I accept their quote to sort out this mess.

After my insisting she gave me a photo-copy of '240 Brick Veneer Wall (mine are 265) Jamb Horizontal Section' which supplied some answers. but because the outside frame appears to angle inward toward the glass there doesn't appear to be enough to attach the finishing angle? Which I would rather than look at 5mm of ugly caulk.

Well I wouldn't deal with them if I got that sort of treatment... let's see if I can get someone else to call you. I may fail... but I will try. SA is a franchise...

Ed
Quote:
let's see if I can get someone else to call you. I may fail... but I will try. SA is a franchise...

Yes OK Ed and thank you.

As you say A&L's product design would make a far easier installation than the Dowell conventional aluminium sliding window frame, a sample of which I have seen at their nearby showroom.
Can you PM me some details so they can contact you?

Ed
Ed I haven't heard from your contact at A&L windows Adelaide yet so I guess he cant be bothered.

I finally received my quote -- thanks to Aust Post, because the suburb was miss-spelt to an area far away. It was over 10% higher than conventional aluminium windows, so with price plus the poor customer skills I wont be using their product. Its my guess they prefer builder's plans dropped on their desk to take off quantities rather than having to dealt with mere DIYers and home renovators.

So for customer skills A&L Windows SA get 2 --3 out of 10. For product well I guess its something like I saw in the showroom "less this bit & that bit"?

Thanks for your attempt anyway.
Uncle Arfur
Ed I haven't heard from your contact at A&L windows Adelaide yet so I guess he cant be bothered.

I finally received my quote -- thanks to Aust Post, because the suburb was miss-spelt to an area far away. It was over 10% higher than conventional aluminium windows, so with price plus the poor customer skills I wont be using their product. Its my guess they prefer builder's plans dropped on their desk to take off quantities rather than having to dealt with mere DIYers and home renovators.

So for customer skills A&L Windows SA get 2 --3 out of 10. For product well I guess its something like I saw in the showroom "less this bit & that bit"?

Thanks for your attempt anyway.

I received a pleasant reply from A&L today which tells me my email was read... if you don't get anywhere soon, I support your move to give up. As for price - all prices are different, and all prices are negotiable (except EcoClassic's of course
)

Ed
Related
10/05/2024
Double glazed aluminium windows-doors- slimline?

Windows & Doors

Whatever you do avoid Wideline and Stegbar.

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum