Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

No fly screen...Paarhammer the solution?

Page 1 of 2
Ok...so we have a big dilemma.

Our plans include beautiful wide bi-fold doors opening off the family/kitchen out to the rear terrace...

The only problem is that the opening is 7200mm, which isn't a problem to have that size bi-fold door system BUT we were told that the fly screen system is only made for a maximum opening of 5800mm!!!

So...we now have to decide whether to have no fly screen (and more than likely let the insect world straight into the house!) or give up our 7200mm bi-folds for smaller ones...

Any thoughts? Solutions?
Thanks!
Adam
why not 2 flyscreens - one on each side, meeting in the middle? If you have small children or dogs, then budget to replace these weekly. (the screens that is - not the kids)
EcoClassic
why not 2 flyscreens - one on each side? If you have small children or dogs, then budget to replace these weekly. (the screens that is - not the kids)

We were told that the maximum opening with a double screen system (one either side) is 5800mm!

I even checked on the Centor website and that's what it says!

No kids or dogs yet! haha The dog will be first!
I've heard about an alternative being an air curtain installed above the opening. This is a jet of air that streams down from above. Origionally only used in commercial apps.

THe idea is the stream of air will deter insects from entering
We use a combination of ceiling fan and an automated spray can and it works a treat!

Yesterday had ours open all day and only had 2 flys and 1 moth!!
air curtains and automated sprays?! haha

why can't they just make fly screens that are as big as the bifolds they make!!

Thanks for the suggestions...canberra is shocking for flies in summer especially..so going to have to figure something out!
Looks like Paarhammer might do bifolds with retractable mesh flyscreens up to 10m wide!!! Yay!

They even seem to be able to recess the thresholds of both the doors and the flyscreen so they are flush with the floor!

Now, hopefully they don't cost more than 1 arm and leg

Has anyone had any experience using Paarhammer???
[quote="BuildingACT"]Paarhammer ...

quote]

I guess we will know when you have them by your inability to type messages in the forum...
EcoClassic
BuildingACT
Paarhammer ...

quote]

I guess we will know when you have them by your inability to type messages in the forum...

Or only half th....
mattwalker
EcoClassic
BuildingACT
Paarhammer ...

quote]

Or only half th....

He hasn't got the bill yet - half???
haha they make fantastic voice recognition software nowadays!! either that....or maybe i can just have one window and one door...that might work!

Either way, as long as I can afford to fit out my home theatre room, i'm happy!!!
BuildingACT
Either way, as long as I can afford to fit out my home theatre room, i'm happy!!!

And at the end of the day thats the only room that matters!
mattwalker
BuildingACT

And at the end of the day thats the only room that matters!

Let's hope you still have some gear left to enjoy it after you've paid that electricity bill...
Paarhammer is the leading manufacturer of modern and thermally efficient timber joinery in Australia
windowexpert
Paarhammer is the leading manufacturer of modern and thermally efficient timber joinery in Australia

Thanks windowexpert...but do u happen to hav had any experience using them? Can you tell me anything about how they might compare in price to other window suppliers?

Cheers
Adam
Hi Adam,

I havn't used them but I know them and I know their system (IV68)
It is currently the world's most advanced timber window system.
It is not the cheapest but the way to go in timber.
Forget the traditional timber joinery as it was designed in a time when houses were quite different.
windowexpert
Hi Adam,

Forget the traditional timber joinery as it was designed in a time when houses were quite different.

When you say 'not the cheapest'....any ideas on % more I'd be looking at?

As I'm sure you can understand, it's a matter of balancing things we'd like to do with what we can afford to do!!
BuildingACT
windowexpert
Hi Adam,

When you say 'not the cheapest'....any ideas on % more I'd be looking at?

As I'm sure you can understand, it's a matter of balancing things we'd like to do with what we can afford to do!!

I would check how attached your wife is to her arms as well...

Call them and ask for a budget price.
Hmm...well, I went ahead and requested a quote...can't hurt to ask I guess

Maybe I can just source the bifold doors from them if I can't find somewhere else to supply what I need.....
BuildingACT
Hmm...well, I went ahead and requested a quote...can't hurt to ask I guess

'armless I agree...
Related
22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

12/11/2023
Performance Based Solution

Building A New House

Hi We are building in the Hunter Valley, our soil test is H1, our builder has advised us they need to have a letter signed for Fair Trading as the new drainage standard…

5/12/2023
Hi, I'm looking for a structural solution to stand alone pic

General Discussion

Sorry! I'm new to this forum and have made a mistake in my posting! I'm looking for a structural solution to a stand alone wooden pickets fence with no structural rail…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum