Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there, I'm building a home and trying to see if I can save costs / get something more optimal as well.

Currently have a 2.7m tall x 1.2m pivot entry door (pretty expensive).

I like the height (2.7m) but I feel like I may not mind making it narrower (e.g. 1m, 1.1m). I'm wondering if a hinged door would be suitable for that?

Regardless - I'm wondering if there's anyone who has feedback who has experienced both?

One issue with pivot is I don't really like how when it pivots, it creates another 'opening' on the smaller side of the pivot point. Worried things will get squished and pets might run out. I can't really tell how big this is for a 1.2m door though?

Also I read that insulation is not as good for pivot. There is a porch outside so direct rain is not the main issue - moreso general temperature & noise leakage.

Does it matter at all if I want to get some sort of electronic door lock as well?

Does anyone have any opinions?
I personally think pivot door are over the top, as you said a bit impractical having a small useless section and poor insulation. I’m pretty happy with a 920x 2040 with a louvre sidelite with security mesh, all aluminium framed with rubber seals all round.

2400 x 1100 might also give a premium feel at a good price.
Pulse
I personally think pivot door are over the top, as you said a bit impractical having a small useless section and poor insulation. I’m pretty happy with a 920x 2040 with a louvre sidelite with security mesh, all aluminium framed with rubber seals all round.

2400 x 1100 might also give a premium feel at a good price.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do you feel your louvre sidelite security mesh is safe? I was thinking no window at all so no one can see if I'm near the front door, shadows moving, etc. (Just for security). Do you have a pic or model by any chance?

With a 920 width door, have you felt like most big furniture items have fit through easily?
firsthyme
Thanks for your thoughts.

Do you feel your louvre sidelite security mesh is safe? I was thinking no window at all so no one can see if I'm near the front door, shadows moving, etc. (Just for security). Do you have a pic or model by any chance?

With a 920 width door, have you felt like most big furniture items have fit through easily?

You could use an obscure glass.

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people looking in, we are down off the road so it is pretty private. We will get a gatehouse and electric gate for the driveway too.
Related
1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum