Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Do I need a new garage door motor or I being scammed?

Page 1 of 1
My garage door has started playing up recently.
Sometimes (and getting more frequent) when I press the button to open it, it wont. The motor is an ATA GD0-6V3. Red and green led lights will flash alternating. I pull the manual release cord and press the button and you hear the motor work for a split second and then pull the manual cord to reengage it, press the remote again, and then the door opens and closes without issues until the next random time.

I've spoken to 2 garage door companies and both said the motor need replacement because of the circuit board. My understanding would be if the circuit board was fried, like anything electronic it just wouldn't work at all.

I found a manual online and it seems like alternating lights could have something to do with opener overloaded

The garage door hasn't been serviced and greased in over 7 years. My guess is that the roller door mechanisms (springs etc) have really dried up and is causing too much resistance on the motor to pull.

I saw some video on youtube and he sprays silicon in various parts of the door. Is this okay to try?
Related
15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

24/03/2024
The Reality of Being an Owner Builder in NSW

Owner Builder Forum

Being an owner builder is no walk in the park. It’s a challenging endeavour that requires dedication and hard…

26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum