Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

gaps in rubber window seals

Page 1 of 1
I just bought the property and found that there are some holes/gaps at the end of the rubber window seals on both side. Anyone knows if this will leak and how should I fix this problem? The property is about 11 years old.
as5540088
I just bought the property and found that there are some holes/gaps at the end of the rubber window seals on both side. Anyone knows if this will leak and how should I fix this problem? The property is about 11 years old.

Sorry forget to attach the photos

It's a sill flap, used to push water away from the brick sill to prevent ingress. You can't seal it off, water must drain underneath, but you can make a makeshift version for the corners.

It is likely that it was stretched when it was assembled and over time it has shrunk.
ECOECO
It's a sill flap, used to push water away from the brick sill to prevent ingress. You can't seal it off, water must drain underneath, but you can make a makeshift version for the corners.

It is likely that it was stretched when it was assembled and over time it has shrunk.

Hi EcoEco,
Thanks for your reply.

That means I can seal the corner hole with a silicone right? but I cannot seal the entire black rubber because water must drain underneath?

There are also some rubber which lift up a little bit, what should I do with these ones? Seal it underneath to make it flat?
Yes, you can seal the corners, but only the corners.

And as long as you leave the remainder open, sealing that part pictured will be OK.
ECOECO
Yes, you can seal the corners, but only the corners.

And as long as you leave the remainder open, sealing that part pictured will be OK.

Thanks EcoEco. I understand now. So the correct method would be seal part of the rubber is fine but cannot seal the entire rubber.
correct
ECOECO
correct

Thanks so much ECOECO, when we seal the rubber, approximately what percentage should not exceeded? Like it’s better to not seal more than 25% or 50% of the entire rubber?
Seal the minimum.
ECOECO
Seal the minimum.

Thanks so much😊😊
ECOECO
Seal the minimum.

Hi ECO, just got one more question. The door/ window has a gap with the wall, can I just seal it?
Yes...
ECOECO
Yes...

Thanks Eco, so this one doesn’t relate to water drainage lol
Not at all...
ECOECO
Not at all...

Thanks so much.
Related
18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

12/01/2024
Gaps in window jabs

General Discussion

Sorry I missed this, simply put this is a pathetic job, and as it stands it is non-compliant... I think the worst part is not in the quality of the workmanship so much…

7/05/2024
insulation/filler for gaps in window frames

Building A New House

yes that window needs a header, good pick up

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum