Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Installing sliding doors to existing metal frame wardrobe

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone installed sliding doors to a metal frame wardrobe before?

I've got the standard 80's double brick, metal frame door Australian house.

The bedrooms have built-in hinged double door wardrobes with double metal frames and old hollow core doors with a shocking paint job.

I plan on replacing these for a sliding door option but not sure what I can do about the metal frame? There is 2-3 courses of brickwork overtop and the roof frame does appear to be supported over the courses above.

All the DIY how-to videos conveniently either don't have an existing door frame to contend with, or a flat metal frame that is easy to install over.

Are internal metal door frames load bearing? I assume they can't be removed. The bulk head to the right of this wardrobe does have a steel lintel but it is not continuous over
Can the door jamb be cut out to atleast flatten the profile of the existing metal door frame? Or does that split the frame and therefore cause the same problem as removing it? Knocking on the frame it sounds very hollow to the sides and top so its almost like the door jam is a seperate piece fixed to a flat metal frame that may be the load bearing part fixed into the bricks?

Does anyone have a solution for installing a sliding door in this scenario? The local place suggests a aluminium channel to be installed over the existing door jamb, then the new aluminium sliding door jamb be installed to that. But my thoughts on that is it starts to look like a frame within a frame within a frame (rather unsightly).

Hi, did you work this out? I’m up against the same and am considering attaching a new frame over the old somehow
Hi Simbo 2
Did you manage to install the sliding wardrobes on the metal frame? I want to do the same if able. Appreciate any advice.
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

15/06/2023
Sliding doors

Windows & Doors

We are looking for sliding doors which are 5 metres tall. There are a few European options. Any manufacturers in Australia or distributors?

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum