Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Exterior windows - oil after varnish.

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We've just moved into a newly built house with plenty more to do so will likely be a regular here!

First step - the western red cedar windows have been coated with a water based varnish (Johnstones Clear). But in hindsight, we've realised we want to oil them with something like Intergrain Nature's Timber Oil or even just a linseed.

I understand we can' put the oil over the top of the varnish - is that right? And if so, do we need to sand the timber right back before coating with oil?

Any tips much appreciated.
LincDk
Hi,

We've just moved into a newly built house with plenty more to do so will likely be a regular here!

First step - the western red cedar windows have been coated with a water based varnish (Johnstones Clear). But in hindsight, we've realised we want to oil them with something like Intergrain Nature's Timber Oil or even just a linseed.

I understand we can' put the oil over the top of the varnish - is that right? And if so, do we need to sand the timber right back before coating with oil?

Any tips much appreciated.

Pretty sure you can if you sand it back to raw wood. Though I'd be using a better product like osmo.

That said, while the oil looks nice, are you prepared for the ongoing maintenance? I know it's kind of romantic to be oiling wood, but it's a PITA
Cool thanks for that. Just looking at the Osmo range - would you use the Teak oil for external WRC windows?
LincDk
Cool thanks for that. Just looking at the Osmo range - would you use the Teak oil for external WRC windows?

Unfamiliar with the teak oil, but anything from osmo will by head and shoulders above other products on the market.
Related
21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum