Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

U Values

Page 5 of 5
dymonite69
EcoClassic has rightly declared his interests. May I ask if windowexpert is an independent evaluator or a manufacturing company or retailer?

"If all you have is a hammer, then everything else just looks like a nail"

Windowexpert has declared his interest long ago and many times...
dymonite69
A secret elite band of window makers. Do you think that this will make these products more or less accessible to the majority of home builders.

windowexpert
Not at all they are available for everyone and the numbers increase contantly which will bring the price down too.
The growing worldwide success of the european designed joinery systems and hardware is the best "independent" evaluation

There are European manufactures that are world leaders with some fantastic windows framing systems e.g Kommerling. There also some interesting ideas like the Passivhaus standards. However, most people remain ignorant about passive solar design (which may include double glazing but certainly not limited to them for a comfortable home)

Europe is also different from Australia. They have a harsher climate, a higher demand for double glazing, a government and market that tends to favour its use, economies of scale etc etc. A fifth of our popuation lives in the sub-tropics where you could argue that there is no need for double glazing at all.
dymonite69

Europe is also different from Australia. They have a harsher climate, a higher demand for double glazing, a government and market that tends to favour its use, economies of scale etc etc. A fifth of our popuation lives in the sub-tropics where you could argue that there is no need for double glazing at all.

From Wikipedia...
According to climatologist Glenn G. Trewartha, a subtropical region should have at least eight months with a mean temperature of 10° C (50 °F) or above...

Pretty brisk I think...

dymonite69
A fifth of our popuation lives in the sub-tropics where you could argue that there is no need for double glazing at all.

Yes I hear only 20% live in the subtropics in Europe...

Subtropical or tropical, the first thing you do anytime you want an inside temperature to be different to the outside temperature is plug holes - and single glazed windows are holes.
EcoClassic
Yes I hear only 20% live in the subtropics in Europe...

Yep, plenty of Greek, Spanish and Sicilian houses with double glazing

EcoClassic
Subtropical or tropical, the first thing you do anytime you want an inside temperature to be different to the outside temperature is plug holes - and single glazed windows are holes.

A big hole for the sun to let in 1 bar radiator per square metre of energy in. More than enough to keep the house warm for a a 24 hour period if you know how to store it.
Quote:

Europe is different indeed

The house are far more energy efficient and warmer in winter and cooler in summer. There is a higher demand for triple glazing in Europe , but double glazing is essential in Australia.
Australians burn coal to keep their three phase powered aircons running instead of building decent houses which suit the climate.
In Europe it is not just tending to double glazing it is normal there.
In the subtropics there is no need for double glazing but for Three Phase Airconditioning
How ridiculous is that
windowexpert
double glazing is essential in Australia.

So explain how this is possible:

dymonite69
And if you have a well designed passive solar house with
single glazed aluminium windows
in a temperate region of Australia, you can still have a comfortable house with at least 70% reduction in heating energy compared to the average Australian Home.

The occupants of this house don't even use auxiliary heating and the temperature doesn't fall below 18 degrees!.

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/pubs/fs87.pdf

windowexpert
In the subtropics there is no need for double glazing but for Three Phase Airconditioning
How ridiculous is that

It is ridiculous and Your Home has a solution for that as well:

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs46.html

It involves radiant barriers, shading, natural ventilation systems and ceiling
fans (and if you think I am biased - tinted/low SHGC windows if required )

I am sorry to say that double glazing is not part of your solution.

dymonite69
It involves radiant barriers, shading, natural ventilation systems and ceiling
fans (and if you think I am biased - tinted/low SHGC windows if required )

I am sorry to say that double glazing is not part of your solution.

Go on, you're not sorry...

holes in insulation are holes - whether it's cold outside or warm outside.

Did you mean to write rabbit barriers?
EcoClassic

And another example from Your Home - another house that needs no mechanical cooling/heating. This time built in the tropics and yet again built with big holes.

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/pubs/fs81.pdf
dymonite69

Is that what you see when you look at windowexpert and me???
dymonite69
EcoClassic

And another example from Your Home - another house that needs no mechanical cooling/heating. This time built in the tropics and yet again built with big holes.

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/pubs/fs81.pdf

It was rabbit holes...
EcoClassic
dymonite69

Is that what you see when you look at windowexpert and me???

Nup. Got lots of tools apart from my hammer. You just got windows.
Related
You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum