Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Lifting Pathway

Page 1 of 1
I’ve a 19m length of aggregate finished pathway along the length of my House. Its been down for 13yrs but in recent yrs it has begun to lift and open up a gap of around 75mm. If I have the path relaid with suitably spaced dowels and piers should that give me the peace of mind to ensure that I have rectified the problem?
What about your foundation? Is it lifting as well? You should check the moisture levels in the soil as it probably signs there is a leak.
Kazpien
I’ve a 19m length of aggregate finished pathway along the length of my House. Its been down for 13yrs but in recent yrs it has begun to lift and open up a gap of around 75mm. If I have the path relaid with suitably spaced dowels and piers should that give me the peace of mind to ensure that I have rectified the problem?

The site was filled to a height of 1m but I suspect may not have been adequately compacted at the time since it is located close to a timber retaining wall. There is no problem with structural integrity of the house foundation as the footings are tied to the slab. The pathway has developed a gap in excess of 70 - 75 mm and has become a tripping hazard. I am considering having it re-laid with piers and suitably spaced dowels to prevent this sort of thing re-occurring in the future but I suspect it will be a fairly expensive proposition.

Is that the rear boundary of the block ?. Have you checked to see if there is an
existing easement along the boundary or neighbouring side?
Does the the downpipes in the photo discharge onto the path ?
No, it's the eastern side of the block. Downpipe drains into a drainage pit that discharges into a storm water drain at the street front of the property.
Maybe try talking to a resin injection company like Mainmark. They maybe able to lift it back to some degree and it might be cheaper than redoing the whole path again.
I've had a resin injection company take a look but they have not been able to offer a solution. The resin has limited capability in closing a gap of around 70mm and levelling lifted pathway. The four figure quote I received came without any guarantee.
Is it lifting or dropping and pulling away laterally ?
Related
You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum