Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Concrete around newly constructed house

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

I am planning to have concrete around the perimeter of my house done once it is constructed.

Don't know much about concreting.

1) What type of concrete should i use? advantages and disadvantages of the different types?
2) Whats the recommended width? Should the width be 1 meter or can it be less? (Considering water going in to the concrete slab of the house)
3) Cost of concreting?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1) Up to you I think. I like to use coloured concrete as it looks good. If you have money, you can do stenciling too
2) I would recommend at least 1m so that you have enough room to walk and move things around. At a minimum, as per standard, it has to be 0.9m width and 100mm thick and slope away from slab
3) I've just done 10m x 1m x 0.1m for 2200$. I was quoted 6500$ earlier to do 3 sides of the house (21m on sides and 10m at the back)
4) Make sure the concrete is at least 75mm away from weep holes. Very important! Concretor knows it but often tries to get away from it
huubang
1) Up to you I think. I like to use coloured concrete as it looks good. If you have money, you can do stenciling too
2) I would recommend at least 1m so that you have enough room to walk and move things around. At a minimum, as per standard, it has to be 0.9m width and 100mm thick and slope away from slab
3) I've just done 10m x 1m x 0.1m for 2200$. I was quoted 6500$ earlier to do 3 sides of the house (21m on sides and 10m at the back)
4) Make sure the concrete is at least 75mm away from weep holes. Very important! Concretor knows it but often tries to get away from it

Thanks huubang for the information.

I got a quote from one of the concreter's saying coloured concrete can be done at $60 per square meter. Not sure if my calculation is right. Wouldn't it be 10x60 in your case?

For me the concrete around the house is more for protecting the slab than to walk. So trying to reduce the concrete done so that I won't loose much backyard.
JJ2019
huubang

I got a quote from one of the concreter's saying coloured concrete can be done at $60 per square meter. Not sure if my calculation is right. Wouldn't it be 10x60 in your case?

For me the concrete around the house is more for protecting the slab than to walk. So trying to reduce the concrete done so that I won't loose much backyard.

Your calculation is correct. However I can't find anyone who wants to do 60$ per sqm in South West Sydney (where are you located?). I guess it has something to do with the size as well. If you have a bigger job, you get the cheaper price.
huubang
JJ2019
huubang

Your calculation is correct. However I can't find anyone who wants to do 60$ per sqm in South West Sydney (where are you located?). I guess it has something to do with the size as well. If you have a bigger job, you get the cheaper price.

Wow!! it seems to be costly in NSW. I am in Victoria.
It is also best to incorporate a spoon drain on the side of the path, particularly if you are on reactive soil.
Related
4/09/2023
Newly Installed Aircon Not Sitting Flush with the Wall

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The unit normally clips into a metal plate screwed to the wall, either plate is not flush, or unit not hooked in and could be hanging from the pipes partly, either might…

20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

20/12/2023
Water backlog around side of house

General Discussion

Thanks for the photos. You need to know whether the inflow or the overflow pipe is leaking and this is a simple process of elimination. INFLOW: The vertical riser…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum