Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Driveway thickness question

Page 1 of 1
Have been quoted just under 10k for approx 94m2 of concrete plus stormwater as per the below
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88570 - didnt realise their was a dedicated concrete section when i posted this

They will use f62 mesh and 100mm thick concrete throughout
the estate specs are 150mm thickness for driveway
but the engineers footings report indicates due to soil type (H2-D) the driveway should be a minimum of 120mm thick with a sl72 reinforcement

my question is should i be going back to the concreter's that have quoted and getting them to spec it as per engineers report

Will be doing a 7x3 meter concrete slab in the back of house to allow for a future pergola - expecting to size it up to extend just beyond the concrete so that its posts don't need to impact it unless i get advise to delay concrete till after pergola is erected - though i assume would be far easier to concrete the back of the house when doing the paths and driveway
You never know when a truck may back down a driveway so a thicker construction is recommended. . . . especially if you are planning more construction work.
Short answer is yes if you have engineering specification then follow it.
that's what i have been thinking. better to spend extra now than have to replace it in a couple of years.
wondering if the reason the estate states 150mm thick is due to the soil type as well.
note: If i ever build again ill pay attention to any estate driveway thickness requirements as it may give an indication of the soil type
For a driveway I would always recommend SL72 and 150mm thick as a minimum, save the SL62 and 100mm for the garden shed. Pouring your patio slab before or after the driveway or path would be irrelevant as there would more than likely be a joint between the patio slab and driveway anyway to control shrinkage cracking.
thinking ill hold of the patio concrete and they can just come back when im ready to do it and i assuem use a concrete pump to get it the 24meters + to the back of the house. or just put paving down for that location. though have been thinking of doing it for the paths as well lately
Related
12/06/2023
Driveway works under a CDC

Renovation + Home Improvement

I want to build a bigger driveway (without a nature strip) than has been approved under my CDC. I’ve also had a DA approved to build a deck. It looks like I can do this…

10/07/2023
Orange rust spots one driveway

Building A New House

Very common on rendered homes Smaller suppliers get the lower quality raw materials

7/08/2023
Concreting a driveway

General Discussion

We've had decent weather for last 7 weeks and now the drvieway has been cut out we had an evening of 50mm of rain including all the water from half the street, ground is…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum