Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

query about extension concrete floor

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am a new guy. I want to change my car port to kitchen and living area. Someone can give me some idea about the concrete floor. I am not sure I need redo the concrete floor or has any other way.
Thanks.
If your carport floor is not part of your house slab then it may not have waterproof membrane under and you could get dampness issues.
Even if it is it may be too low an you may have drainage issues.
You can get free advice from the council before appointing building designer
Thanks for your reply. The council just tole me to ask the engineerer. They don't have any idea.
They just fobbed you off
Go back and ask to have a chat with council building surveyor who will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do.
Tony1980
Thanks for your reply. The council just tole me to ask the engineerer. They don't have any idea.

Your slab is Non-Compliant to make it compliant you will need to pull it up and redo it as per the NCC..or have it certified as equivalent or better by a Structural Engineer.
..they are not suppose to give advice on structural non-compliant elements, even tho your query may seem non structural?
in a nut shell,generally, Surveyors can only deal with Compliance where as an Engineer deals with the LOT.
StructuralBIMGuy
Tony1980

Your slab is Non-Compliant to make it compliant you will need to pull it up and redo it as per the NCC..or have it certified as equivalent or better by a Structural Engineer.
..they are not suppose to give advice on structural non-compliant elements, even tho your query may seem non structural?
in a nut shell,generally, Surveyors can only deal with Compliance where as an Engineer deals with the LOT.

You are giving out wrong information as usual.

What if OP's carport is part of house slab and the levels work? Why would he need to rip it up and rebuild?
Even if it is not and it needs to be rebuilt you don't necessarily need an engineer. Of course, you would not know about this because you don't have qualifications in Building Surveying and apparently know nothing about NCC

NCC2016
3.2.5.2 Footings and slabs to extensions to existing buildings
(a) Footings to extensions to Class 1 or 10 buildings may be of similar proportions and details to those used with an existing same Class of building on the same allotment provided—
(i) masonry and masonry veneer walls are articulated at the junction with the existing building; and
(ii) the performance of the existing building has been satisfactory, i.e. there has been no significant cracking or movement (see Section 2 of AS 2870 for acceptable footing performance); and
(iii) there are no unusual moisture conditions on the site.

So you can replicate what is there and engineer is not required. Voila!
The sooner you get it into your head that Building Surveyor is "The Captain" and engineers are just sailor boys, sooner will you stop embarrassing yourself.
Tony1980
the design needs to satisfy the performance provisions
in the NCC 2016->Structural stability
P2.1 lists what is required to be checked/certified by an engineer.
BTW,If it is not covered in the NCC then you are referred to
AS2870 Residential Slab and Footings
Section 4 -> Designed by ENGINEERING Principles
StructuralBIMGuy
Tony1980
the design needs to satisfy the performance provisions
in the NCC 2016->Structural stability
P2.1 lists what is required to be checked/certified by an engineer.
BTW,If it is not covered in the NCC then you are referred to
AS2870 Residential Slab and Footings
Section 4 -> Designed by ENGINEERING Principles

Correct!
But you obviously do not understand the meaning of exemption
NCC3,2,5,2 is an exemption clause that kicks in under certain circumstances.
It allows people to avoid wasting their money engaging engineers to reinvent the wheel.

You preaching ,get engineer for everything, reminds me of a Chiropractor that once tried to convince me that they are a solution to all body ailments. Yeah Right!
building-expert
It allows people to avoid wasting their money engaging engineers to reinvent the wheel.
You preaching ,get engineer for everything, reminds me of a Chiropractor that once tried to convince me that they are a solution to all body ailments. Yeah Right!

LOL,You need qualifications & licence to practice medicine as you do for engineering & society values these professions
If you don't like the fact that Councils & others advise people to get engineers for their slab designs then that's your problem.
As a structural engineer/repair contractor I would see far less problems on site if they did.
StructuralBIMGuy
Tony1980

Hi,

Would you please recommend some construct engineering and energy assessor.
Thanks.
Related
31/05/2024
Concrete query!

General Discussion

You might want someone to check your vinyl, the red of the floor and the way the vinyl has torn, it would be the right age to be asbestos vinyl. The moisture is an issue,…

4/09/2023
driveway related query

Paving & Concreting

Thank you ponzutwo for the information, much appreciated.

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum