Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Tiled balcony leaking... options?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

It appears the small slate-tiled balcony in my new house is leaking, despite being fully lined and waterproofed:

We're thinking the water may be slow-feeding through the grout and along an air pocket in the waterproofing, into the house (the water tends to pool in the middle of the balcony, as the fall isn't great -- consequence of the door height).

I'm thinking of sealing the edges with Sika Marine, then coating the slate in Silacryl (3-4 coats). How does that sound as a solution? I've never used Silacryl before, so would be interested to hear opinions...
My 2c. If the water is pooling in the middle despite having some fall, the waterproofing may have essentially created a bucket. There needs to be somewhere for the water to drain to - Is the section away from the house open for this water to escape?

From what I understand you are trying to seal/waterproof the area by applying those products over the top. Assuming it works it'll be a neat and easy solution but if the waterproofing is to blame (either the product or installation) maybe you should see if the installers will rectify it.

Never used any of the products mention in your post, hopefully someone else can help out with that. Best of luck with it.
robbie55
My 2c. If the water is pooling in the middle despite having some fall, the waterproofing may have essentially created a bucket. There needs to be somewhere for the water to drain to - Is the section away from the house open for this water to escape?

From what I understand you are trying to seal/waterproof the area by applying those products over the top. Assuming it works it'll be a neat and easy solution but if the waterproofing is to blame (either the product or installation) maybe you should see if the installers will rectify it.

Never used any of the products mention in your post, hopefully someone else can help out with that. Best of luck with it.

As mentioned above The balcony is a 'Tanked' area(aka bucket) be careful not trap moisture in or it will start to grow.

The only sealer that could be used would be a silane or siloxane. Though being that it is horizontal surface you may still end up with migration of water.
Better to resolve the pooling. Reducing a grout lines height may help to evacuate the pooling water.
2 bobs worth
Related
20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

11/01/2024
Leaking Hot water

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi, I've got a brand new (2nd hand) Bosch Hydropower 16H tankless hot water heater. Since it was installed I have noticed it leaks a lot. I took the cover off and it looks…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum