Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Paver Sealants

Page 1 of 1
I have recently installed a saltwater pool and had the surrounding area paved.
I would now like to apply a sealant to these pavers but am unsure what brand to use.
From what I can gather, it is not advisable (although would look good) to use a 'wet look' sealant as they can be slippery in wet areas.
I would like to use a product that is going to last as long as possible, without needing to re-apply regularly.
Would like to hear from people with their experiences, knowledge and recommendations.
Thanks
Hi Dave , ive been in the construction/concrete industry almost 20 years and sold sealant for a long period of that .. best sealant i could reccomend in called Chemproof http://www.parchem.com.au/CONSTRUCTION/ ... &prodID=82

its is one part , easy to gun, has a high Shore A factor ( means its Hard ) and very good chemical resistance

Best sealant for what your doing

Jason
Getjason
Hi Dave , ive been in the construction/concrete industry almost 20 years and sold sealant for a long period of that .. best sealant i could reccomend in called Chemproof http://www.parchem.com.au/CONSTRUCTION/ ... &prodID=82

its is one part , easy to gun, has a high Shore A factor ( means its Hard ) and very good chemical resistance

Best sealant for what your doing

Jason

No no no no.

The above information is NOT correct. Please research salt water pool sealing carefully as it can delaminate sandstone over time. You will need to consolidate your sandstone and then seal with a penetrating sealer.
I was told that you sealed to prevent staining etc - but didn't need to do it.

Is this true ?
Go with a product called Crommelin Pool Pave Sealer'.

Pool Paving Sealer is a clear water repellent treatment that penetrates deep into the surfaces to cure and impede the passage of moisture. It leaves no surface finish, so avoiding increased slipperiness when wet. 

Pool Paving Sealer reacts with soluble salts in cementitious surfaces to block capillaries whilst still allowing the substrate to release retained moisture

Saint Mike
I was told that you sealed to prevent staining etc - but didn't need to do it.

Is this true ?

Sealing will prevent staining. What needs to be understood however is that if you don't remove the stain the longer you allow it to dwell on the surface, the more risk you take in regards to allowing that stain to attack and degrade the sealer. The sealers that I know of will do this regards of price or quality stated.
bkm2009

Pool Paving Sealer is a clear water repellent treatment that penetrates deep into the surfaces to cure and impede the passage of moisture. It leaves no surface finish, so avoiding increased slipperiness when wet. 

Pool Paving Sealer reacts with soluble salts in cementitious surfaces to block capillaries whilst still allowing the substrate to release retained moisture

Again, while the above is correct in regards to how sealers work, you must understand that when it comes to SALT POOLS you need to do more than seal. If all you need to do is "impede the passage of moisture" then Crommelin my suit. I, for one, would look for a product that gives a higher resistance to a wider variety of stains, not just water. The second post stated some sort of adhesive grout, or at least that's where the link took me.

A consolidation process is needed to be undertaken. Especially since the op has stated the sandstone is in place. Sandstone is a very porous and soft product. Sandstone, if not sealed correctly, will absorb the salt pool water, when the water then evaporates it can leave salt particles in the stone. These particles can then start to delaminate the sandstone. I have even seen salt pool water start to pit and attack sandstone that has had no consolidation process.

In my opinion the above is a must.
Another sealer product I have seen in the past is Bonsall paving Sealer.

Website below says it can be used around salt water pools.

http://bondall.com/tccr/pool_paving_sealer.html

bkm2009
Another sealer product I have seen in the past is Bonsall paving Sealer.

Website below says it can be used around salt water pools.

http://bondall.com/tccr/pool_paving_sealer.html

You are right in saying that the website states it can be used around salt pools

In my experience these types of sealers need to be used in conjunction with a consolidator as previously mentioned.
miteq
bkm2009

Again, while the above is correct in regards to how sealers work, you must understand that when it comes to SALT POOLS you need to do more than seal. If all you need to do is "impede the passage of moisture" then Crommelin my suit. I, for one, would look for a product that gives a higher resistance to a wider variety of stains, not just water. The second post stated some sort of adhesive grout, or at least that's where the link took me.

A consolidation process is needed to be undertaken. Especially since the op has stated the sandstone is in place. Sandstone is a very porous and soft product. Sandstone, if not sealed correctly, will absorb the salt pool water, when the water then evaporates it can leave salt particles in the stone. These particles can then start to delaminate the sandstone. I have even seen salt pool water start to pit and attack sandstone that has had no consolidation process.

In my opinion the above is a must.

I agree in the use of a high quality penetrating sealer. In my opinion most sealer's sold at bunnings (Crommelin) contain cheap resins and are most commonly cheap silanes/siloxanes watered down. In regards to stone de-lamination, that usually has more to do with the particular sealer not allowing enough moisture vapour transmission, not all penetrating/impregnating sealer's are completely breathe able and any gloss wet look sealer will eventually peel.
To reduce the chances of salt water corrosion, you must keep the water and salts out. Six side sealing is ideal, especially the bull noses.

The most important thing is to use a product that you are going to get the right technical advice and support from. There are a few excellent companies in the stone and tile industry that will help you from start to finish, otherwise hire a professionally.
Related
You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum