Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

For those with exposed aggregate driveways

Page 1 of 1
Did you continue exposed aggregate around your house or is the rest just regular concrete?
We are having ours done next week.
We are having the exposed done in front of the house but the plain trowled concrete under the alfresco because the dogs will sleep under there no doubt and I didnt want dog hair to stick to it would rather tile it.
But then I am out on 7 acres not exactly in the middle of town.
We have it everywhere except the dead side of the house where we just have plain concrete. There is a gate where it joins and the only other people that go down there is the gas man.
We have it everywhere too. Driveway, paths down each side of the house, stairs at front of house leading to front door where we have some tiling. It all flows like a beautiful river
Thank you all for your responses.

Do you also have exposed Aggr around your alfresco slab?
Our alfresco is all exposed agg. We were going to deck the alfresco and have the aggregate around it, but have just done it all exposed agg
blueblueblue
Thank you all for your responses.

Do you also have exposed Aggr around your alfresco slab?

No
For me I think it would look odd to have 2 different concrete finishes in the same area, however I think it's fine to have exposed agg at the front and a different finish (plain concrete, tiles, pavers, etc) at the back if the 2 areas are separated.
Having said that, we have exposed aggregate driveway and path to the front door, but the area under the portico/porch is decked because this was poured as part of the house slab and was just standard concrete, so it looked a bit silly to have the exposed agg leading up to it and then plain concrete at the front door, so we covered it up. It was the better option and I think the mixture of 2 distinct but natural-looking surfaces adds a bit of interest.
We don't have any other visible concrete than our driveway. I'm not a fan of concrete in general.

Instead we have sandstone pavers, gravel, mulches, groundcovers and decking....
kek,

do you know if you have one of those houses that is on terrible soil if you can put something other than concrete around it? I don't fancy a path all the way around but we've been told to be on the safe side not to plant anything right next to the slab otherwise water might get in underneath...

So I'm considering my options. Any suggestions?
Depends what you mean by terrible soil? Clay, fill, all of the above....
The slab is meant to be engineered for the soil type and/or any special conditions that exist, and there's nothing in the warranty that says you're not covered unless you pour a truckload of ugly concrete all the way around the perimeter.

We've always had garden beds/decking/whatever around our houses and no issues. Maybe I'm just not a worrier....
BBB we are going to get aggregate for the driveway and front path. All the other concrete (internal garage, paths around house etc) are a plain coloured concrete in a dark grey colour which will complement the aggregate
Thanks Kek, you're right there's nothing in the warranty about that! We have a site that was classed E but just about a P I think for the clay content.

The slab has been poured over a 500mm raised base or whatever you call it so apparently that should help. I was just curious because I don't like the idea of concrete right around either.
Related
19/01/2024
Exposed Aggregate Concrete Repair / Replacement - small job

Paving & Concreting

Last year I had a gas leak at my house. 3 days later, I have about 1 sqm of my exposed aggregate paving broken up. I am not sure how to go about getting it repaired…

24/02/2024
Kids friendly options for exposed aggregate patio

Flooring & Floor Covering

After some ideas on making our patio kid friendly . Currently we have exposed aggregate. The patio faces west and is always in sun even though it has a shade directly…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum