Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

advise regarding providing concrete belt around house

Page 1 of 1
hello all,

somebody suggested to me that it is good to provide a concrete belt around the house for stability purpose. like 1m width in the side ways and the back. whats the opinion here. please advise.

regards
james
More for convenience than stability really, I had paths put around my house so i can walk around without getting muddy.
Hi James,

The CSIRO BTF 18 http://www.publish.csiro.au/pid/3612.htm Foundation Maintenance and Footing Performance: A Homeowner's Guide
Has a recommendation that to prevent variations in moisture content and the potential for cracking in a concrete footing/slab that a permimeter path be installed around the footing with a fall to prevent water from pooling around the slab and effecting the moisture content of the soil belwo the footing/slab.
Which is where most of this discussion seems to centre around, as a preventative measure it may be appropriate but its going to vary in individual circumstances what is actually practical as well as how the individual footing design reacts to moisture variations and how tolerant it is of ground movement/moisture variation depending on the soil/clay/earth that its on.

However also discussed is how important the placement of gardens, and plumbing locations can also be significant causes of moisture variation.
Edge 'beams' tend to retain the soil moisture content seasonally.
This will reduce cracking, together with all the other things mentioned.(plumbing, falls etc)
Related
20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

22/01/2024
Regarding Burbank Bricks

General Discussion

Hi All, Recently we have signed a contract with Burbank and we are not aware that they have just DORSET, SURREY, HAMPSHIRE, KENT, PILBARA and REDGUM bricks from PGH are…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum