Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Where to get ideas on paving style/colour/materials in Melb?

Page 1 of 1
I have to do a concrete base for A/C compressor, water tank and letter box so figure I'll do the paths, courtyard and driveway all at once since the exterior is all completed.

I want to do paving so I thought of working out what size and having the concrete base done to suit now, then pavers at the end of the build.

My front and rear porches are basically level with the garage slab so there wont be a step up. Thought of doing the porch in a different colour/material to break it up. Or just doing the same pavers throughout. I like the look of the big outdoor tiles also but have no idea how they compare on price.

Can anyone recommend any places in Melbourne that I can go get some ideas on colour, materials and layouts?
I'm also happy to consider paying someone to come out and advise me on some suitable ideas?
You do not lay pavers on concrete, you use a road base (crushed rock) and sand. I dont live where you are but boral do pavers, maybe they have a display room near you.
buildingwithhamra
You do not lay pavers on concrete, you use a road base (crushed rock) and sand. I dont live where you are but boral do pavers, maybe they have a display room near you.

Um that's not what I asked and if you want a good job you do it on concrete especially if cars are going to be parked on it all the time. Do a search.
I always thought that you could cement pavers on top of concrete which gives a much more sturdy base?

To answer your question, try some big garden centres as they usually have a lot of paver products on display. Also landscape suppliers in your local area and the manufacturers themselves such as boral and PGH etc.
Do a google search for pavers aswell to find other manufacturers.
Hi Dave

try Urbanstone in surry hills or mordialloc in mordialloc ask for brett and in surry hills ask for pam
I'm going to be out North this morning so will head past Austral as they have a small display.

I say paving, but I probably need something a bit more modern looking than the traditional paver. UrbanStone looks like a good one, didn't find that in my google search previously. Will head past there later today.

Thanks
Well it seems my original idea of paving isn't really going to work with the style of house using the traditional style pavers.

Headed out to UrbanStone. They have some really nice products that would suit the house well. Only problem is price. Off the top of my head, the ones I liked were about $100/sqm supply only. Then at the end of the day, some of the ones I liked were really just exposed aggregate that had been machined down?

I think I'll abandon the paving idea and find an aggregate mix I like. Had only seen it before with light colours that I didn't like then drove past a place on the weekend with a lot of black through it which looked sensational.

Got some questions on aggregate now but I'll do a search as the answers are probably already covered!
Related
26/08/2023
Leftover Materials - Supply and Install

Building A New House

That's a fantastic result! Happy you got it sorted out. cheers Simeon

15/01/2024
Finding materials in stormwater drain

General Discussion

in the stormwater pit or the drain? Those dont look like theyd fit in the drain. Separately, the pits do get stuff in them during the course of the build. For the most…

5/02/2024
Provincial style hone external colours

Building A New House

The Dulux colour consultants are awesome. If you show them the photos they should be able to figure it out for you straight away

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum