Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Suggestions for 'floor' in driveway & under pergola

Page 1 of 1
As our renovations are near the end we now have the added cost of fixing and changing our driveway. The concrete floor of the old garage had to be pulled up as it was all broken and unsafe when we pulled down the old garage. We were originally just going to re-cement the old floor of the garage and pull up some old uneven concrete in the driveway and re-concrete there but when i found out the price of concrete, well forget it and besides it's not a real attractive look.

Our driveway will not be used for a car. There is an iron fence, driveway and at the end will be a pergola, so some undercover for entertaining when it's raining as we also have an outside entertainment area in the backyard. The driveway will also be used by our 3 kids riding their bikes.

Pulling up the old uneven cement and covering the whole driveway and pergola area Lilydale Topping was suggested, however i am also told this is a pain as the kids would get the stuff caught in their shoes and then bring it inside on our new polished floor boards. There will be a door going inside our new living area from the pergola area.

Can anyone suggest something like Lilydale Topping but not where it will stick to your shoes. Anyone know of Tuscan rock?
Thanks for any help.

Thought i might get some responses if i add a picture as it's hard to visualise what i am talking about otherwise! Thanks.

edited as i added the photo to the original message.
any type of loose toppings whether it be lilydale , tynong, granatic sand, cement stabilised b or c grade crushed rock etc will stick to your shoes. hard surfaces will be the only option. you could look at laying pavers in seperate rows and in fill with ophiopogon etc planted in mass but this will probably cost as much as plain concrete and in a pergola area is really unusable for tables etc
Thanks Da Vinci. Is exposed aggregate really expensive? I never got a quote but judging by the pics it looks like it is. Cementing or a hard driveway/paving expense wise is just not an option now. OUt of the rocks you suggested which is the least messy/would stick to your shoe? Is Tuscan topping the same or not as bad as lilydale topping? Just trying to find a cheap alternative that is going to be suitable, as you can see from the pic we just can't leave it. Ta
i dont know what tuscan toppings is. out off all of them in regards to sticking to shoes there all about the same
Related
16/01/2024
New house's driveway under CDC ?

Building A New House

you need to make an application to your local council for this as they are the approval authority for driveways cheers Simeon

3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum