Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Page 1 of 1
Just in need of some urgent advice as this will be completed imminently.

I've located a concreter that I believe has decent know-how considering the cowboys I've come across giving me quotes.

Could anyone please help as I have less than 12 hours to sort this if there are any major sticking concerns here..

By the look of the picture the concrete height will be well above the bottom rail of the fence. That's not good.
You don't want to pour concrete up to a fence and definitely not when you will basically encapsulate the bottom rail. That fence will never come out and will rust quickly because the drain holes in the bottom of it will be full of concrete.
I'm in Perth and we build on sand so the concreters just leave a 100mm gap between the fence and concrete and the water just drains away.
In the east where you are on clay you'll need drains down the side otherwise the water will just pool and cause possible issues with the regards slab heave.
Oh no, just as I thought ;(

What do I do, pause the work tomorrow?

Can’t I ask them to leave a gap there for a spoon drain?

Can’t believe this has happened when I thought I did my due diligence in finding someone reputable…
So, what ended up happening? How did you resolve the issue? Just curious.
Mike1000
So, what ended up happening? How did you resolve the issue? Just curious.

Not the greatest outcome. Spoke with the concreter the day of everything arriving. Gave me assurances. Stated there would be a gap between the fences and concrete. Again I put trust into someone and get half screwed. No one in this industry has lived up to their promises.

After the job, one side has a gap, the other side the concrete is up to the fence! Don't know how they stuffed that up.

The only thing that gave me some peace of mind is that the job isn't THAT bad. Has good fall away from the house as I requested and overall is functional per say. House is also on somewhat of a slope so water falls into drains and away/down from house.
I think if you came away from the whole concreting experience with just one minor issue, and everything else is with expectation and to your satisfaction, you can perhaps consider yourself lucky. But, and to be honest, I can't understand why the concreter didn't just put a piece of expansion joint filler foam. I'm no expert with these things but, surely that would have done the trick?
Who knows really. The bloke was 'old school'. So it was more a case of him being used to what had worked for 30 years.
i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one spot where it sits against the fence and its so minor, that the water really doesn't stick around that long after it stops raining.

I had the gap at my old place and without strip drains to collect the water, the earth swelled causing movement in the path. Don't have that issue with the current set up.

As to having access to re-fence? that's a problem for a future me or someone else. May never be a problem either.
Related
30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum