Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Small slab for chicken run

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Thinking about laying a slab for a chicken run, approximately 2m by 5m. I've read that the working time for concrete is roughly 2 hours depending on conditions. Assuming that all the prep work is already done, and taking into consideration the working time, is it feasible to pour a slab of this size by myself using a rented concrete mixer?

Do a lot of DIY around the house, but never worked with concrete before.

Thanks,
N
You would probably start regretting it after you started. I have heard the story a few times. . Thats a lot of shovelling and very time consuming. I would order a minimix. The cost wouldnt be that different to buying all the materials and mixing it all up yourself. Also you would have more time to spend on making the slab neat. And mixing and laying yourself your prone to the concrete going off as your still mixing. Also more chance of cracking as the slab will be curing at different rates.with likely uneven slump. However it can be done, If your very fit and motivated then go for it. Its a free workout.
Hi Rory,

Completely forgot about my post here, thanks very much for the reply!
Related
20/11/2023
Brick Elevator truck hit and run

General Discussion

you did, but you didnt identify the smear/logo

23/03/2024
Fridge Freezer not working after trying to run on Generator

Kitchen Appliances

I had a similar issue with my fridge not too long ago. It wasn't the same model, but the symptoms were pretty much the same: the compressor would start and then stop…

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum