Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Concrete footing

Page 1 of 1
Hi
Just want to ask about footing for brick fence. So the contractor has done a footing for a brick fence that im going to build but didnt check the survey plans so now its sitting too far forward of the front boundary. He doesnt want to dig it up and do a new one but instead is going to dig and put a new footing right next to the current one, joining the two together by drilling into the existing one and inserting steel rebar.
My question is, is this sufficient? Amd i going to have issues with the footing moving at different rates and causing cracks?
Thanks
He needs to pull it up and reconstruct the footing
building-expert

Is there a law that i can use to force him to do that? I really want it pulled up and redone but hes adamant it will be sufficient with rebar reinforcement.
Bao Nguyen
building-expert

Is there a law that i can use to force him to do that? I really want it pulled up and redone but hes adamant it will be sufficient with rebar reinforcement.

You have posted insufficient details
Is there building permit, are there drawings? Are there structural drawings? What is the value of work? In which state are you in?
if it is on council land then he needs to dig it up
Bao Nguyen

That's why you get proper survey plans, engineering details and have it properly checked even for fences.
Councils are funny, if they make a mistake they'll let it slide on by, if you screw up they will prosecute you (the Property owner) to the full extent of the bylaws.
As for going after The builder, LOL, The council couldn't give a sh!t about him, it's a civil court matter for you
You really need an engineer to specify the detail of how it is joined, don’t necessarily need to pull it out altogether, there would be a way around it. If it is a small distance on council land it probably doesn’t matter too much.
Pulse
You really need an engineer to specify the detail of how it is joined, don’t necessarily need to pull it out altogether, there would be a way around it. If it is a small distance on council land it probably doesn’t matter too much.

Its a total length of 7.5m. The idea is to dig a trench next to it, drill holes in the existing footing and insert rebars to hold them together. Im a bit iffy about it but at the same time im not a builder or engineer so dont know if its sufficient or not for the purpose of a 1.2m brick fence
Related
27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

18/01/2024
Soft clay in footing

Landscape & Garden Design

I've dug some footings to embed a post anchor into. My holes are around 450mm deep which I'll put a 200mm stirrup into. The bottom of these holes seem firm enough. …

23/01/2024
Besser Block retaining wall footing

Landscape & Garden Design

there is a standard besser block wall pdf somewhere online with footing sizes, also have a look at dincel.

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum