Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Stormwater runoff from neighbour

Page 1 of 1
Two years ago my neighbour started having "water issues" which apparently was from a pipe that runs underneath his driveway out to the kerbside drainage hole. He found out that the conduit pipe has a bend in it, which is apparently blocked. He didn't do anything about it. Anyway, we started getting water runoff onto our council strip of land whenever it rains now, which we had never had before in all the years of living here. Also, his garden bed, next to ours fills with water during rain periods where it drains from his place and comes up into ours. Consequently, his place is water free and ours is a mud bath. Last year, he replaced a section of his driveway, which before had a grass strip in the middle and now it is just concrete, on a slope, which means we now get more water runoff, before the grass strip would absorb some of it. The council isn't interested in the problem as they say it is a matter between us and our neighbour. I went into see our neighbour during one of these rain events and she said they would look into it. He put in a drainage hole, less than 5cm in diameter and to be honest, I think he just cut away a couple of pavers, dug a hole, stuck in the drainage cap and concreted around it. It is not situated where the water runs, so it has done nothing. In the meantime, I came home one day to see him using a Drexel and shaving some of his concrete down the backyard, so that the next time it rained the water would runoff into our yard. He's effectively surrounding us with his water runoff.
My questions are:
- Should I tell the council about him shaving a part of his concrete away, would they do anything? I have photos and video of it.
- Shouldn't the company putting in the new part of the driveway have suggested a drainage system, knowing that it was laid in a way that water runoff would flow into a neighbouring property?
- Isn't my neighbour supposed to do all he can to restrict the flow of rainwater into our property?
What is a drexel? photos would help understand the situation
Pulse

Sorry, typo, Dremel
grantd
Pulse

Sorry, typo, Dremel

Hard to say from that photo, generally normal run off from natural surfaces are allowed, run off from hard surfaces should be to stormwater drain. Driveways on council land don’t have drains and drain downhill.

Related
31/05/2024
Fence issues with neighbour

General Discussion

Rule of thumb the sides and rear fences are required for privacy and exclusive use of the back yard. There is a mutual benefit to BOTH neighbours so it is a shared…

23/07/2023
Fixing cracked stormwater PVC pipe

General Discussion

Plumbers 'can be' plumbers, made all the worse by self certification which the building surveyor invariably accepts as proof of compliance! The good thing is that you know know.

20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum