Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Strip drain alternative - landscaping

Page 1 of 1
Hello

I have an 11m by 4m pool and I am going to start installing tiles around it. There is a 150mm concrete coping around the pool perimeter currently. The pool sits about 600mm away from the house, surrounded by floor to ceiling windows. There is a 1200mm eave from the house which stretches over the pool, so it's kind of under cover.

I have a few PVC drain pipes around the pool which have been installed for me to connect some drainage into.

I am about to pour concrete between the coping and the house to fill the gap (currently soil). Then the plan was to tile over that.

I really like the tile insert strip drains and was planning to do this around the pool perimeter. But a few quotes I have seen means this will cost $10k+ (just in the drain materials!), which is a little ridiculous.

I don't really like the look of the stainless steel grated strip drains, which are much more cost effective.

Has anyone done anything different? Maybe a DIY tile over drain that they can share which is more cost effective? Or maybe I ignore the drain and just grade the surrounding area toward the pool so I don't get water pooling around the house? Although I am a little concerned with rain dragging crap into the pool.
I’m planning a slot drain in 20mm porcelain pavers, cantilevered over a cheap plastic drainage channel. I’m thinking of getting a 316 angle lip welded up for the driveway to support the cantilevered edge. Foot traffic would be ok unsupported
Related
23/01/2024
Strip drain

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has switched from a small square tile insert or normal square waste to a strip drain at all, and if so did the plumber or diy-er…

23/10/2023
Alternative to hallway?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Might cheaper to changer your idea of what makes a home, have you considered building a porch?

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum