Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

New Build - is this A/C sufficient

Page 1 of 1
House is a single storey 290sqm (31sq) with 2.6m ceilings.

Builder initially quoted us for a Fujitsu 10KW ducted system. After questioning if this was sufficient they advised that it was but i could upgrade to a 12.5KW or 14KW if i wanted.

Even at 14KW i think that is still way under the mark for this size of house but i'm not really basing this off anything other than my opinion.

We could take the A/C out of our build but it would obviously cost us a lot more money to install our own post handover. But also dont want to end up with something that struggles in the western Sydney heat and ends up pointless.
It all depends on how well your house is insulated. For standard BASIX 6 star build it is certainly not enough.
But for 10 star it may be even over excessive.
alexp79
It all depends on how well your house is insulated. For standard BASIX 6 star build it is certainly not enough.
But for 10 star it may be even over excessive.

We selected to upgrade from the BASIX insulation to R2.0 wall and R4.1 ceiling. Which also included an Enviroseal wall wrap to external walls.

There isn't a mention of the star rating of the upgraded insulation though so not sure where this lands.
how many and how big west facing windows
aussieta
how many and how big west facing windows

The back of the house is south west facing which will include 1 bedroom window and the rear stacker doors between the living area and alfresco. Alresco is 4.5m deep so shouldn't get too much direct sunlight until later in the afternoon. There are a few smaller north west facing windows which will get sun all day though (in the living area these are around 2000 (h) x 800 (w).
Related
6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum